Coast FL1R Micro Headlamp Review

Aaron Zagrodnick

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

I’ve always been a fan of headlamps powered by either 3 AAA batteries or a single AA battery (my current favorite). While these types of headlamps may at first seem a bit archaic – the performance is simply there. When it comes to the ultralight headlamp category, lithium has matched, but not overtaken a single AA battery when watt hours are compared side by side. To avoid throwing away batteries, I use all Panasonic Eneloop batteries – rated for over 2000 cycles. On the plus side, extra batteries are easy to throw in your pack. On the side of slight inconvenience, recharging requires removing the battery or batteries, and a charger. Harder in the field, but possible. That said, being able to hook up a headlamp to the nearest USB cable or straight to a solar panel or battery bank – without having to remove the battery from the headlamp, is appealing. The Coast FL1R Micro is one such light that recharges in this manner. As the FL1R headlamp (with the strap included) is just 1.7 ounces and has built-in recharging capability, the Coast FL1R Micro – at first glance – is a very appealing option...

In Issue 55, we review the Coast FL1R Micro USB Rechargeable Headlamp. Take a look at the links below:

Coast FL1R Micro Headlamp Review

Coast Fl1R Micro Headlamp Review

Issue 55 Page 1