Hello from Alabama

keiffer

Hello every one,

I am from northern Alabama, And I have been hitting the trails since I was a teenager. Now my son is in scouts and they are hitting areas that I grew up on.

keiffer...................

Your experience sounds familiar to what I've done with my two sons over the last 10 or so years. I was introduced to hiking and backpacking as a city kid due to scouts, and it developed into a real love of the trail.

I especially loved taking my sons along with the scout troop to places I hiked as a kid. With youngsters you can't push too hard, and must keep hikes interesting and within their abilities. Good luck!!

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

Edited by Gary M

Howdy! I started enjoying hiking when taking my two daughters out when we were camping. Now it's time to get the grandkids interested!

I dayhike and backpack in the Sipsey Wilderness quite often. Wish I lived in North Alabama so I would be closer to the Sipsey. Camped at Eagle Falls a couple of months ago. Saw 6 waterfalls that weekend. Love the Sip...

Hi Keiffer! Like Gary, I got interested in backpacking when my kids were in Scouts. Although we're from the midwest there are a few places here that we can get a good hike in, but we always have to wait for summer for that one big high adventure trip. If your son sticks with it in the BSA, I'd recommend Philmont Scout Ranch when he's old enough. I went there twice with my son and it was an awesome experience, and now he's actually working there as a Ranger during the summers. Great place to wet your feet if you don't have a lot of backpacking experience. Welcome to the forum!