Teton crest info requested

WanderAR

Planning on hiking the Teton crest trail or some combination of the trails along the route in late August. Ideally would like to drop rental car up by Jenny Lake, then shuttle back south and take the tram up and hike along the crest trail. Depending on permit availability may have to go slightly shorter or longer route. Max time available would be four nights, five days on trail. Any suggestions on permits, must see trail segments (try for death canyon shelf or the valley, etc), shuttles, supply stores, etc? Welcoming any input from those experienced with the area.

tmountainnut

Planning on hiking the Teton crest trail or some combination of the trails along the route in late August. Ideally would like to drop rental car up by Jenny Lake, then shuttle back south and take the tram up and hike along the crest trail. Depending on permit availability may have to go slightly shorter or longer route. Max time available would be four nights, five days on trail. Any suggestions on permits, must see trail segments (try for death canyon shelf or the valley, etc), shuttles, supply stores, etc? Welcoming any input from those experienced with the area.

I wrote up the Teton High Route (which follows the crest trail till hurricane pass), which may have some information that's helpful.

http://www.trailgroove.com/issue12.html?autoflip=83

As far on places to camp, Death Canyon Shelf is definitely a good spot, but if you can't get a permit there, theres forest service land on either side of it that wouldn't require a permit. The area by spearhead peak would work and is similar to death canyon shelf, while the area on the north (alaska basin) is very pretty and has lots of good sites, but you'll loose your veiw of the grand (don't worry, buck mountain comes into view and is very pretty too). Marion lake is also nice, but will require a permit.

I never hiked down cascade canyon or any portion of the crest trail north of hurricane pass, but i've heard that the paintbrush divide route is beautiful.

For shuttles, the Alltrans park shuttle (http://www.alltransparkshuttle.com/) will pick you up from jenny lake and take you to Jackson. then in Jackson, the START bus has a route that runs from Jackson to Teton Village where the Tram is. Also, there are plenty of cab services that are around that area. If you're flying in, Alltrans also has an airport shuttle that will take you from the airport to Jackson or Teton village. The nice thing about the Alltrans shuttles is that it makes it so a rental car is almost not needed unless you're doing some car touring before/after the hike.

Thanks for the info! I'll read your article. I also appreciate the site and shuttle info. Anyone else reading this feel free to keep the info coming.

I added on the Teton Crest Trail as part of my CDT thru-hike in which I took the alternative Bechler River Tr through Yellowstone NP down to Flagg Ranch on the border of the two NP's where I could have taken a shuttle bus into Jackson Hole but I hitched instead. I took the tram at Jackson Hole getting here via a public bus up to the Crest and hiked back to Flagg Ranch via the Teton Crest Tr and some other trails and then hitched back to where the CDT crosses Hwy 89 near Heart Lake continuing my CDT hike SOBO into the Wind River Range. I believe a public bus stops at Jenny Lake Visitors Center at the NP Backcountry Office. You could take that or easily hitch and bus it to the tram and hike back to your car left at Jenny lake. I would inquire at the Visitor's Center about legally leaving your car in the area though. Even though I got snowed on, about 5 inches, in Aug on the Teton Crest Tr, and it was cold for two whole days, it only took me 4 days and 3 nights to get down Paintbrush Canyon from where I started at the crest where the tram dropped me off. I was in in thru-hiker shape but I think your timing sounds right for the distance and elev changes your traveling given that you are a hiker in somewhat decent shape. The route is signed but bring along the Nat Geo TI Map Grand Teton NP anyway. It's not a terribly hard hike especially given that you're taking the tram to the crest. At the top of the tram is a café/bar to start your trek off right!

BTW, in hindsight I made a mistake heading down Paintbrush Canyon considering my end pt was Flagg Ranch but for you ending at Jenny or Leigh Lake you'll be fine. I will not even get into the round about hike/boat ride I did to end back at Flagg Ranch.

I am envious. The Teton Crest trail is above the top on my Must Hike list.

I found this article while searching for similar information to your request above. It is a good read. There is some useful information also. You may get answers to some of your questions by calling the Backcountry Desk at the park. Good luck! Standing by for a complete report.

The Mangy Moose in Teton Village is worth a stop for a burger and cold brew.

http://www.awayfromthegrind.com/blog/hiking/leapfrogging-the-teton-crest/

Wayne

• 3 weeks later...

In reading the information provided I think I will opt for shuttles and save the money and hassle of leaving a rental car at a trailhead. However, are there facilities anywhere to store extra gear and clothing that won't be taken on the actual backpacking trip?

Here's one solid central base of operations to consider that could inexpensively meet your needs. It has worked for me. Stay at the inexpensive The Hostel in Teton Village which is outside of the town of Jackson. Decent skier/backpacker on a budget hostel near/on the Snake River, fantastic views, near public transportation. They have lockers. Call them to see if you need to bring your own lock. http://www.thehostel.us/ Take the START and AllTrans buses too the tram in Jackson Hole from The Hostel and the AllTrans NP Shuttle bus back to the Hostel. http://www.alltransparkshuttle.com/index.html http://www.startbus.com/ If you want a more centralized in the town of Jackson or Jackson Hole it's prolly going to cost you more to stay but if you find anything better on a limited budget I'm willing to listen if you think you find anything better.