Howdy from Texas!

audit91

New to the site, not new to short hikes, but wanting to up my hikes. Retired early and have some bucket list trips I want to do!

audit91...................

Sounds like you are where I would love to be over the next 3 to 5 years. Where do you plan on hiking??

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

Grand Canyon corridor trails are on the bucket list. Colorado will probably come first.

I only did Grand Canyon Bright Angel Trail (which I believe is classified as a "corridor trail"), would have loved to had time to do more.

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

A friend and I have reservations at Phantom Ranch in September, we are planning to go down South Kaibab and up Bright Angel. At least that is the plan.

So far the steepest trail either of us has done is at Beavers Bend St Pk in SE Oklahoma. The Skyline Trail is supposed to be classified "difficult" so we are hoping that training on it and a quick trip to Colorado will help us.

What time of year did you do Bright Angel?

audit91;

It's been over 10 years since I was on Bright Angel, but as I recall it was about June. I had never before hiked or even seen the Grand Canyon, so it was an incredible experience for me. I have very little mountain or canyon experience, so it was almost overwhelming. Only bad news was that over the years I somehow lost the few photos I took on the trail. I did find family photos with my wife and two sons as we did a horseback day trip along the rim and in some unknown pine forest.

My kids still talk about the horseback trip as it was one of the few times they have ever been on a horse. Funny, they remember the horses and I remember the canyon!

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

(About as different geography from the Grand Canyon as you can imagine!)

Edited by Gary M

• 5 months later...