Guadalupe mountains

BeefSupreme

BeefSupreme

Just curious if anyone has any experience hiking at Guadalupe national park. Got some questions concerning appropriate packing list and how much water to carry.

Thanks, Pat

BeefSupreme

Oh yeah also if anyone made it out to Carlsbad caverns is it worth the drive out or is it better to just spend the extra time at Guadalupe.

jeepingetowah

I thought it was neat, and I am glad I visited. However, it is just that. Been there done that. It is really dry, take a LOT of water, there is none, that we saw. Also a dust storm came through... only if you like chewing on grit.

Check it out yourself = = > http://youtu.be/vaRYL2TbJ9k

Wallace

SupaChef

Last yr after a Colorado Tr thru-hike I spent 5 days at Carlsbad Caverns NP doing all the cave tours available. I then hiked from Carlsbad Caverns NP in NM to Guadalupe NP in TX. Starting at Carlsbad NP I took part of the 9 mile Scenic Loop Rd. Rattlesnake Canyon, an old 4 WD road, and then a single track that basically diasappeared to near McKittrick Canyon where I connected with Guadalupe NP on the Permian Reef Tr. It was hot and dry. I carried enough water to go 14 miles at one pt. I basically kept the edge of the escarpment(reef) on my left as a guide rail because I had less than sufficient topos. G NP is a rather dry place. MAKE SURE TO CAREFULLY ACCT FOR WATER NEEDS IF HIKING IN EITHER NP. There are bushwacking opps if up to it at GNP as well. The hike up Guadalupe Peak is a very good hike with a decent camping area part way up. From the peak it's not a hard bushwack/3 pt climb over the ridgeline to Shummard Peak, Bartlett Peak, and to Bush Mt.

In my opinion as well as in the opinion of many others Carlsbad Caverns NP is definitely worth it. The formations in the caves are abundant and some very large(and ancient), the available cave tours both guided and unguided, paid and free once entering the NP, are many, and when the bats are emerging at the cave mouth it's quite a sight. Personally I spent more time doing about 7-8 cave tours over the 5 days at Carlsbad Caverns than in Guadalupe NP proper. BTW, the hike I did from Carlsbad Caverns NP to Guadalupe NP isn't but for the most adventurous who's comfortable with some off trail route finding and carrying/finding water. Sorry, I forget what maps I had that bridged the two NPs.

• 1 year later...

Hope you are not going this time of year - too hot and definitely no water (go to the Rockies). There is a stock tank up high in the back country, and you can make a side trip for water to McKittrick Cyn or Dog Cyn campground. It's worth a visit, but it's no Big Bend. And visit the cave for sure.