Best pot for solo hiking?

rig

I am looking to move into the shiny world of titanium pots and am suffering from options paralysis due to the immense range available.

I want a pot that is small enough for solo ultralight trips eating dried foods, but which would be big enough to handle food for me and one of my children at a pinch.

I am liking the look of the MSR Titan Kettle and the 0.9 litre Evernew pot. Does anybody have any experience or views on these (or other choices).

I usually cook on a cat food can stove (Fancy Feast style thanks to the video from Mr Skurka) using meths (i.e. alcohol fuel) or solid fuel tablets.

Thanks in advance

Richard

Richard,

I've been using an Evernew 400ml single wall cup.I heat up filtered water to keep fuel consumption down.It hold one cup of water but thats all I need for anything I eat.

Theemuman

If needing chow for yourself with a hungry hiker appetite w/ the occasional child's meal thrown in you'll need more than a 400 ml pot IF looking to boil/cook with one burn. It's my guess that if you will just be boiling water for yourself and a child to add to prepackaged freeze dried meals the smallest pot you'll want is something in the 900 ml+ range IF doing one boil. Both the pots you're contemplating should be fine as far as size but before you buy experiment with how much water you'll need to boil w/ one boil at home first w/ your typical dried food meals. Personally, I feel I need the size of a 900ml pot(Snow Peak Mini Solo TI) for a Knorrs's Rice Side, 3 oz foil packet of tuna, and a bit of greens, onions, garlic, etc. Anything smaller and I feel my food doesn't cook enough due to lack of water in the pot because my pot is too small.

tmountainnut

I am looking to move into the shiny world of titanium pots and am suffering from options paralysis due to the immense range available.

I want a pot that is small enough for solo ultralight trips eating dried foods, but which would be big enough to handle food for me and one of my children at a pinch.

I am liking the look of the MSR Titan Kettle and the 0.9 litre Evernew pot. Does anybody have any experience or views on these (or other choices).

I usually cook on a cat food can stove (Fancy Feast style thanks to the video from Mr Skurka) using meths (i.e. alcohol fuel) or solid fuel tablets.

Thanks in advance

Richard

I've actually had both. the only real difference between the titan pot and the evernew .9L kettle pot is the stamped marking for water levels. for all practical purposes, they are the same. However, i do find the stamped water levels to be nice since i no longer carry around anything that could be used to accurately measure water (like a nalgene)

If i was getting a new pot, i would want something in the .8-1L range, and of those, i would get something that fits my cooking kit. I use a bushbuddy and a vargo decagon stove (depending on the type of trip, sometimes both). Both will fit in my .9L evernew and the Titan kettle, but the lid won't close.

if i was to switch to gas canisters, you really can't beat the MLD .85L plus a small canister and small gas stove (i like my Soto stove). everything fits and its super small.

-Ted

Hey, I missed the part about a child. You'll definately need a larger pot than 400.My titans top does not come off easily,which could easily lead to a burn if not handled carefully. I would try any Evernew pot of a larger size.

Theemuman

The Mighty Rogue

Steep and Cheap has a couple of titanium pot sets on sale right now. They're both Stoic (Backcountry.com's house brand) and one set is the 1.6L pot and fry pan, and the other is the 1.6L and 1.3L set. They are priced at $39.99 and $52.99 respectively... might be worth a look. Steepandcheap.com

restless soul

I love my Snow peak Trek 900. Perfect for packaged rice, noodles or mashed potatoes. My only gripe is that I wished the canister and my stove (MSR pocket rocket) fit within the pot. One or the other does, but not both; but you probably wouldn't have that problem with an alcohol stove.

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

I have the MLD 850, the Evernew 900 UL, and the Evernew 1.3 UL...For most solo trips or even for two I've started using the MLD 850 as I prefer the all in one pot / mug approach vs. carrying both items separately even with the better fuel efficiency of the wide pots. The 850 is also a great fit for a small canister and a Soto WindMaster. For the most part I'm only boiling water to rehydrate a meal or heating up water for coffee though...If I were planning to do more actual cooking in the pot I'd definitely lean towards one of the Evernew options + my Snow Peak 450 mug:

http://www.backcountry.com/snow-peak-titanium-single-wall-cup-450

...and I use either of the Evernew pots and a Trail Designs Ti-Tri setup for alcohol / wood use. (Could burn Esbit as well)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies folks. I've decided to go for the 0.9 litre Evernew plus a 400 ml MyTiCup from Alkit (when they are back in stock). I mainly use alcohol or Esbit for fuel.

Thanks again.