Hey from Chicagoland

Chris

Just found this site. Great reviews! My kids are just getting old enough to move beyond car camping. Looking to learn!

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Welcome to the site Chris and glad you're liking the reviews! We spent some time in the Chicago area and if you're willing to drive there's definitely some nice hiking and backpacking spots to be found...Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park especially has a great trail system, nice campsites, and amazing views of Lake Superior.

Welcome to the site, Chris. I'm from the Chicago area also, and as Aaron mentioned there are some nice places to hike out here. My favorites thus far - Starved Rock-great for little kids; Mississippi Palisades has some spectacular views of the Mississippi River; Turkey Run State Park in Lafayette, IN (near Purdue) is excellent; and in Wisconsin there's Devil's Lake State Park, and both the Upper and Lower units of Kettle Moraine State Parks. Also, if you don't mind the ferry ride, try Isle Royale in (yes, I said in) Lake Superior. I've also heard that the Lake Superior Hiking Trail is really nice.

I'm planning on hitting the Porkies this August for a long weekend with my daugher and son - hope it's as good as they say.

Again, welcome fellow midwesterner to the site!