Hiking Photography and Videography

maddoc

I have been debating on what kind of camera I would like to get, as I think I would like to do some hiking videography. There are so many beautiful places to see in the country, so many national parks and such. So, I wanted to ask what kind of cameras do you guys use? Do you take a camera with you every time you go hiking? Do you shoot stills, video, or both?

Dan Randazzo

Eastern Backpacking (FB page)

tmountainnut

I have been debating on what kind of camera I would like to get, as I think I would like to do some hiking videography. There are so many beautiful places to see in the country, so many national parks and such. So, I wanted to ask what kind of cameras do you guys use? Do you take a camera with you every time you go hiking? Do you shoot stills, video, or both?

I personally shoot a Ricoh GR. The video performance it fair, but it's still are incredible for a camera its size. It isn't for everyone though, as it doesn't zoom and its fairly expensive. After shooting the GR for the last 6 months, the simplicity of shooting a fixed lens camera is really nice.

If zoom is important, and you still want something that fits in your pocket, look at some of the larger sensor'd enthusiast cameras.

RX100 (versions 1,2,&3) are all great cameras for stills and video. with a 1" sensor, they'll provide almost APS-C quality while keeping the camera compact enough.

Canon S series cameras (S90,S100,S110,S120) - great pocketable camera that's cheaper than the RX with good picture quality and versatility. Again, it has good video capabilities too. P330/P340 is Nikon's equivelent, and from what i've seen from my dad's camera, its just as capable as the Canon S series I've used in the past.

A few others that i don't have experience with, but look good too

Panasonic LX7 (LX8 is rumored to be announced next month)

Pentax MX-1 (really good lens)

FUJIFILM XF1 (2/3" sensor)

Edited by tmountainnut

I have been really happy with Olympus TG-2. It has the ability to shoot video, which I have never used. It's extremely light (I think about 9oz), 12 megapixels, has the ability to swap out a telephoto lens (have to purchase that separately), and I have been very happy with the quality of the pictures. I previously used a Canon powershot G-9 but found it to be a bit on the bulky side. The TG-2 is so light that I can clip it to my shoulder strap, so it's always handy. Take more photo's that way!