Hydration advice

kev

Hi there I do alot of lightweight walking around the area where I live and no matter which way I go I hit hills. Im usually out between 1 to 2 hrs. Is it still wise to keep hydrated even though the lenght of time im out is not alot.

Rgds kev

AdventureMyk

You need to stay hydrated regardless of if you are out hiking, working, or lounging around the house. A 1-2 hour hike? A regular bottle of water or something should be plenty depending on where you are hiking. (It doesn't list your area)

That doesn't mean you need to throw on a camelback hydration suit and carry a filtering device but you get the idea. <grin>

Hi there I do alot of lightweight walking around the area where I live and no matter which way I go I hit hills. Im usually out between 1 to 2 hrs. Is it still wise to keep hydrated even though the lenght of time im out is not alot.

Rgds kev

Hey kev!!!

Some of my better hikes have been 3 hours or less, so the distance or time out doesn't matter nearly as much as the enjoyment factor; that is....my 1st rule is, make sure you are having a good time!

As far as hydration, you just can't get enough. Drink plenty of fluids before, during, and after hiking. A couple of hours may not seem like a lot, but your muscles and other body systems must have fluids or will eventually begin to "shut down" to try to preserve what little hydration that is remaining.

Lightweight hiking or heavy duty backpacking still have the same basics....HYDRATE and wear good quality boots/shoes, clothing, hat, sunglasses, and sun lotion to protect from overexposure. I work in the Health Care field with the elderly, and unfortunately I can report the number of men with skin cancer on their heads is very high.

Good luck, and great hiking!

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

Edited by Gary M

Another thought on hydration is........

Drinking plenty of liquids is a really good habit to get into, as eventually you may enjoy hiking enough that the shorter hikes become 4 hours, or weekend backpacking trips.

Also, sometimes a 1 to 2 hour planned hike just turns into a longer hike, where you would absolutely need to be hydrated. Heck, I've been lost for over an hour at times in my younger days, so bring plenty of water and a snack!

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

Edited by Gary M

Maybe I'm living on the edge, but do you remember being a little kid (long before cell phones, long before water bottles) and being outside playing ALL day with nary a sip.

But seriously, if the temps are cool and I'm out locally for an hour or two, I might not bring anything. If it's warmer, I throw on my smaller camelbak with a snack. On days when I am hiking 10+ miles, I carry the whole shebang. Full 100L hydration bladder, a gallon baggie of lunch/snacks and the 11 essentials. The 11th being my camera!!!

Hi Kev,

I apologize for the shameless self promotion, but I JUST finished posting about hydration for hiking HERE. It's always wise to bring some extra water with you. Another thing to consider if there are fresh water sources nearby (streams, creek, lake, river, etc.) is to bring a filter or filter bottle. They are light enough to fit in a shirt pocket and ensure you have some way to stay hydrated in the event you get lost, injured, or just take a little longer than expected.

Edited by DustinTN

• 2 months later...

Even if i probably wont need it i bring at least a small water bottle. Hydration and electrolyte management is always important no matter how short the excursion.

• 7 years later...
Michael aka Mac

This post is intended for future readers and not the original person that started this thread.

I am not a huge fan of Murphy's Law, but somehow it seems to always apply to me. Why do you carry a cell phone with you on your hike? Why would you carry a rain jacket with you? Why do you carry your insurance card with you in your wallet or purse?

You never know when the SHTF is going to happen, and being prepared is good practice.  Lets say during your hike you are injured with only 1 bottle of water or none at all.  Does anyone know that you are on a hike?  Do they know which path you took or your final destination or even what time you left or suppose to arrive? Do you have any medical conditions, kidney or liver disease, cancer, are you on diuretics? 

You are always better off to play it safe then sorry, and considering the human body under normal temperatures and physical heath can only survive up to 3 days without water, (far less under severe heat and with underlining medical conditions like kidney disease). Losing 15 % of your weight in water will result in death.

It takes the human body over 36 hours to recover from "normal" dehydration, or from fluid loss cause by diarrhea.

So yes, keeping hydrated is very important and whenever you go out for a hike one should always have more water on hand then that of what the trip requires.  I should also make a note about what hydrates you the most.

Best things to drink to keep hydrated:

1. Milk
  2. Gatorade
  3. Coconut water
  4. Fruit juice
  5. Electrolyte water
  6. (and in last place) Water

Milk and the other drinks listed are more hydrating than plain water because they contain sugar, some protein and some fat, all of which help to slow the emptying of the fluid from the stomach & keeps hydration happening over a longer period of time.

The average male needs to consume ~3.7 liters of water a day, women ~2.7 liters under normal conditions. This amount will increase when in extreme temperatures or physical activity.

Edited by Michael aka Mac