Advice, please: new hiking boot purchase!

ailssadray

Hi everyone!

I'm looking into purchasing a new pair of hiking boots, preferably mid height. It seems that the Merrell Moab and Keen Targhee II styles are getting rave reviews, however, are there any other suggestions out there? I typically would do half day to full day hiking over moderate to rocky terrain (I also like to rock scramble when I get the chance). Thanks in advance!

tmountainnut

Hi everyone!

I'm looking into purchasing a new pair of hiking boots, preferably mid height. It seems that the Merrell Moab and Keen Targhee II styles are getting rave reviews, however, are there any other suggestions out there? I typically would do half day to full day hiking over moderate to rocky terrain (I also like to rock scramble when I get the chance). Thanks in advance!

Is there a reason why you want a mid height boot?

I find for scambling and hiking that a non-waterproof trailrunner works best because its lighter, and tends to have more of an approach shoe tread. Recently i've been trying out the Brooks Cascadia and Salomon XT wings, and i've been very impressed with both, but especially the XT wings.

I also recently did some 3rd class climbing and some significant trail hiking in a pair of Brooks Addictions road running shoes (left my trail runners behind accidentally, and they were the only shoes i had with me), and i was amazed at how good my feet felt after hiking in them. If Brooks made a shoe with the same build as the addiction, but with a more aggressive out sole like the cascadia, I would buy 20 ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

I think this decision depends entirely on what sort of activity you plan to do and it's the old adage "one size doesn't fit all". If you plan to stick to trails and a light pack, the above suggestions are good. If any off-trail use with a heavier pack are in the mix, they will not be so good. In the latter case I prefer old fashioned mid-height, full grain leather single piece construction. And I have even worn toes completely though on a couple pairs of those over the years.

• 1 month later...

Deep lug shoes! No membrane!

Some like trail runners, some like heavier duty trail shoes.

I like trail runners with deep lugs like Salomon Fell Raiser or LaSportiva C-Lite. Personally I use Garmont 9.81 Bolt DLs but they aren't made anymore. Lookin at the C-lites next as Salomons don't fit me well.

They do take a little time to make your feet stronger since they will be working more with the extra flex and stuff.

Some people say "nah I'll stick with boots" but anecdotally every time I see someone nursing blisters they have on boots. Maybe its because I hike more often so my feet are tougher, but man... I can't remember seeing anyone in trail runners fixing their feet.

Inevitably people will try runners for the first time when they aren't in shape (not meaning overweight, but saying they go on some multi-night hike and don't take any training hikes) and their feet won't be happy with them and runners get the blame.

Do what you want... its just a suggestion. But especially if you want to do some scrambling you'll want some shoes.

I swear by my Keen Tarhegee's - but I have weak ankles and plantar fascitis. This is the perfect boot for me - gives me the ankle and arch support I need that a trail runner wouldn't. Also took them out on a 12 day pack trip only 1 week after purchasing them - no blisters. Not one.

As previously mentioned depends highly on climate, terrain, personal preferences, etc. In general i like my boots to be comfortable and dry fast. My feet sweat so much i have given up on "waterproof" boots. Merrell Moab Ventilators are my choice so far. Have a pair of shoes and mids.