Running Wild with Bear Grylls

Bobo Uzala

It depends on what you're looking for and why you're tuning in. For pure adventure Bear Gryllis offers plenty of that. I'd assume the Outside magazine type crowd would enjoy Bear's shows more.

For my own tastes, I still prefer Les Stroud and the greater realism less obviously staged Survivorman format.

I always got something from watching both these guys and Cody Lundin on Dual Survival but hands down like Les Stroud the best. Les has that wonderful quirky sense of real life spontaneous humor so often needed in real life survival situations too.

IMHO Gryllis is a joke - and annoying.

Survivorman is THE man! I've enjoyed watching Les Stroud evolve. One of his last 10-day shows (when he stayed in the stranded car and then hiked down to the fjord) was the best. I could feel from his mannerisms that he was in some deep doo-doo, perhaps the deepest ever. That was definitely entertaining and epic Survivorman!

~ If he could only make contact with Sasquatch!!

• 2 weeks later...

Bear Grylls is great eye-candy and he's got knowledge, but it's not practical. I much prefer to watch Les Stroud - he's got more practical advise to give and he's from North America. He's recently been doing some shows with his son which I find kind of funny. Typical teenage stubborn-ness going on there. As for the other survival shows - Naked and Afraid - I don't see the point. Man-Woman-Wild - totally stupid and the married couple get on my nerves. Dual Survival is interesting to watch because of the opposing philosophies. Has anyone watched Ray Mears? He's an English bloke and does a lot of shows about the local bushcraft of whatever country he's in. Very informative and interesting. But for me - Les Stroud all the way! Wish there was a backpacking channel - now that would be cool!

Im a pretty big fan of Bear Grylls. :( maybe cuz I've never watched survivorman but I've always loved man vs wild and I watch running wild every week. I feel like I have picked up some small useful stuff from man vs wild. Maybe not amazing things but little things I wouldn't think of.

Ill have to watch some survivorman but im still a fan of Bear.