Hello from the flatlands

Gary M

Hello Gary. Welcome to Trail Groove. This is a very cool and friendly site. Oh, and the online magazine rocks.

• Like 1

Hello and welcome! Great to have you here...and I agree with TollerMom...definitely check out the online mags if you haven't already! Good stuff...

Thanks, I've been looking for a site dedicated to hiking, made by people who love being on the trail like I do. I don't get out side of the Kansas/Missouri area anymore, but still love getting whatever miles in that I can. I especially love hiking with my dog Maximus whenever I can.

Thanks for the welcome. My hiking in Kansas is rather sedate compared to others I suppose, but I still love it. I can't wait, I've got 4 days off starting Saturday so I'll be on the trail with my Newf Maximus,

Keep us posted where you go.....a hike is a hike. Doesn't need to be mountains and millions of miles. ;)

• Like 1

Thanks for the encouragement. Unfortunatley, I did a short 5 mile maintenance hike at Kill Creek (a nice local county trail) and strained my knee. This is the kind of thing you usually don't see in the otherwise wonderful articles......something weird goes wrong. I notice more things like this seem to happen as I've gotten older!

So I had to make new plans, take a day of rest, and take a couple of shorter hikes rather than the longer trail I had hoped for. I settled for the Latham Trail at Clinton Lake, one of my old favorites.

Hope your knees heal quickly. I have a giant softball sized bruise on my lower legs from carrying fallen trees on our trail building day. Really hurts to smack a giant log with branch stubs against soft skin. Ye-ow!

I'd say your bruise tops my knee! I was able to get back on the trail (with a shortened hike plan) with 1 day rest. Isn't it amazing what we'll go thru just to get outdoors and hike??

I was being careful, as last year I injured my hip and it took months to heal properly. I'll have to wait a couple of weeks to get the free time to get back on the trail again. I had planned to hike at Perry Lake, which is North of Lawrence. I haven't been there for a while, I used to take my sons on the lake bluff Old Military Trail to view the lake. Pretty nice view for Kansas!

Welcome, sorry about the Knee, hope it heals well. give us a trail report, I've only driven thru Kansas and never hiked. It would be interesting to get you perspective.