Hello, I'm new to hiking and to the forum.

Kowboy13

Hello Everyone...

I am from south Texas, the reason I joined this forum is to learn as much as possible and for health reasons. I am a diabetic and if have four herniated disc, my Dr. Wants me to start walking so if I have to walk I might as well do it in the woods were I enjoy being...

Kowboy

Hello Everyone...

I am from south Texas, the reason I joined this forum is to learn as much as possible and for health reasons. I am a diabetic and if have four herniated disc, my Dr. Wants me to start walking so if I have to walk I might as well do it in the woods were I enjoy being...

Kowboy

Kowboy,

I was very pleased to read of your interest in walking and perhaps hiking.

Just remember, take your time and don't rush into any physical activity.

You wrote your MD wants you to start walking, so I assume you have been given a thorough physical and the go-ahead to proceed. Remember some of the health concerns with diabetes are directly impacted by walking/hiking. All hikers (especially diabetics) need to beware of the symptoms of frequent urination, increased thirst, and increased hunger. Diabetics may also have foot issues due to reduced blood circulation or blood pressure problems, so a good pair of shoes/boots is totally required.

Are you Type 1 insulin dependant, or Type 2? Obviously then you must carry insulin or metformin. If you are going to hike in the woods or any remote area, you should have someone along with you in case you have a health emergency. At the very least make sure someone knows where you are going and have a phone with you at all times just in case.

Go slow, no need to rush, especially with four herniated discs! Maybe go for 1/2 hour a couple of days the first week or so, and build up to a longer time. It's not how far you go that matters, make sure you enjoy yourself, so it's not like work or physical therapy. It's just for fun! And for Gods sake watch out for that San Antonio, Texas sun!

Again, under your doctors care, proceed with caution; and let us know how you are doing.

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

Edited by Gary M

Hello Mr. Gary M.,

Thank you for the great advice, I will honestly take them to heart. I am a type 2 diabetic, and I am looking for gear that will help me be comfortable. I am looking for a day pack that will carry my meds and a bladder so I can carry plenty of water with me. I was told a black diamond octane, do you have any feedback on this pack? Then I will be looking for some hiking shoes. My first and most important part is to be save and have fun and then everything else should fall in place. I will definitely have someone with me when I'm out and I will tell my family where I will be at what time I should be home.

Once again Thank You...

Kowboy

Hi Kowboy13 - when I was recovering from health problems all I did was walk, walk, walk... 3-5 times a week was a good plan for me. Get yourself a good pair of boots and find a place or two close to home that you can get to with a quick drive. You can always begin with walks where you're never that far from the car to get back in time for fluids or meds. Nothing hard core! In the beginning, I didn't even take a daypack, just work up to walking 1-2 hours a trip. If you need a daypack for supplies, keep it light. Keep it a pleasurable experience and try to be consistent but don't get down on yourself if you miss a day here or there. It's all about enjoying yourself so you'll be back for more! Good luck!

Kowboy13

No problem, you can always get new ideas and learn from someone at TrailGroove.

I am not familiar with the Octane model pack, but I know Black Diamond is a well known and respected name in the gear industry. I have a couple of Kelty packs, and a MountainSmith lumbar pack. I use the Kelty's for backpacking or full day long hikes, and the Mountainsmith for shorter (2 to 5 hour) treks. My smaller Kelty Blanca has a built in bladder plus room for extra water bottles, whereas the MountainSmith carries two 900 ml (32oz) Nalgene bottles. I use Kelty just because I bought one many years ago, and loved it. They last forever.

I'm sure many serious trail geeks laugh at the the Mountainsmith pack, but I love it for shorter day hikes. It's light, and although small, I'm able to carry what I need. Heck, my dogs even have their own Mountainsmith packs! Checkout Mountainsmith.com.

I did not see if the Octane (see photos below) has a built-in bladder, so try to check that out. Don't rush, look around and buy what fits your needs best. Good gear will last for many years, so it pays to take your time and get something you'll enjoy a long time. I would recommend you try to find a good quality local outfitter or gear shop. It is tempting to buy gear online, but as you are new, it would be helpful if you could try on the pack for fit. I also suggest you look at CamelBak products (or CamelBak.com), which are famous for their hydration systems. I don't have one, but many day hikers and trail runners use CamelBak.

I see that Bobo Uzala has also given you some good advice. I think you'll get lots of feedback from TrailGroove, so let us know how you are doing.

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

post-135-143508720123_thumb.jpg

post-135-14350872012_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gary M
Added photos

By the way, our dog Katie prefers Mountainsmith packs, but in this photo actually has on her Kelty K-9 Chuckwagon model!

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

post-135-143508720127_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gary M
Sorry, was doing homework and uploaded wrong photo!