Anyone do any geocaching?

jshanks24

I have been recently thinking about getting into geocaching. The idea of hiking trails and finding them seems really fun to me. Anyone here do the same and what are some tips to think about when doing it?

I have been recently thinking about getting into geocaching. The idea of hiking trails and finding them seems really fun to me. Anyone here do the same and what are some tips to think about when doing it?

I tried geocaching ( http://www.geocaching.com/) several years ago. It can be really entertaining, but I gave it up after about 6 months. I found I was spending too much time looking around for geocaches and not enough time enjoying the scenery. The people that are really into it go out of their way to hide the geocache, so be prepared to do some searching. You can always try it and see if you enjoy yourself. Make sure you've got an good accurate GPS. I used my Garmin GPSmap 62s. Itis interesting to find out there are geocaches all over the place, and you just didn't know they were there.

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

• 1 month later...
HistoricalExplorer

I've done some geocaching and have planted a few. I find it a great excuse to get out and wander around. My unit is an old Garmin eTrex Personal Navigator ( http://explore.globalcreations.com/ideas/geocaching-with-the-etrex-personal-navigator/ ), but newer models are much more accurate, do better under trees and are much easier to use - especially entering the coordinates you want to chase. Some even combine the U.S. and Russian satellites to get more accurate positioning. If you have a hunter-gatherer bent and enjoy finding hidden things, give it a try.

H.E.

I've done some geocaching and have planted a few. I find it a great excuse to get out and wander around. My unit is an old Garmin eTrex Personal Navigator ( http://explore.globalcreations.com/ideas/geocaching-with-the-etrex-personal-navigator/ ), but newer models are much more accurate, do better under trees and are much easier to use - especially entering the coordinates you want to chase. Some even combine the U.S. and Russian satellites to get more accurate positioning. If you have a hunter-gatherer bent and enjoy finding hidden things, give it a try.

H.E.

I did some geocaching a couple of years ago using my Garmin GPSmap 62s, which did fine. I did quit after about 4 months as I thought I was spending too much time searching for geocaches and not enough time hiking!

I do like your concept of using geocaching as a good excuse to get outdoors. I'm for any excuse for hitting the trail.

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

Edited by Gary M

Jarrett.Morgan

I just started too. A lot of the new devices allow you add a cache directly to your GPS. I have worried about focusing on finding caches so I will upload only 1 cache on a hike. That way I can do a little geocaching, but focus mainly on a hike. If I want to only go geocaching, I'll just run around town or take my dogs on a long walk.

• 1 month later...

They are rediculously addicting! Anytime I go on a hike or even just a simple walk, I pull out my app and starting hunting! So much fun!

• 1 month later...

I did a little a few years ago. I use a DeLorme PN-60 GPS. It has a feature to download geocache coordinates and descriptions. I did learn about some trails in the area I hadn't been on previously. Depending on the type of geocache you are after you soon learn what to look for.

Some are very obvious while some very hard to spot.