Corona Arch Rope Swing is WRONG

Gary M

If anyone in the TrailGroove universe really knew me, you would probably say I'm a reasonably normal guy. You know, reasonably intelligent, reasonably calm......

But sometimes, my passionate nature just makes me want to let out a cathartic (ancient Greek for “cleansing”) scream. You know, just let loose with a primal scream and hopefully feel better. If this does not sound too crazy, please read on.

As many TrailGroove readers may already be aware, people are using Corona Arch near Moab as the “World's Largest Rope Swing” This stunt was featured on some stupid commercial (deodorant I think), and now this has become a rather popular thrill ride. It has racked up more than 17 million views on YouTube since it was posted last year.

I'm sorry, but this is just wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong! Corona Arch should be protected like the arches at nearby Arches National Park. If someone wants a thrill, go jump out of a plane. My wife and I are both certified for open water scuba, that's exciting. Want an adventure? Join the US Navy or get married, but for Gods sake leave our precious natural resources alone.

The outdoors are like a church to me; a holy place to be kept for future generations of trail geeks and tree huggers. I've been to the Arches just once, and if I'm extremely lucky I may just be able to go again before I head for the great beyond. The arches of Utah took perhaps 100,000 years to develop. Please no silly games on national treasures.

Just to top it off, several deaths have occurred when swingers miscalculated on the amount of rope slack required for a safe swing.

I mean, I was young and stupid once, but this is ridiculous.

OK..............now I feel better.

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

post-135-143508720363_thumb.jpg

Corona Arch

Edited by Gary M

You know; I would much rather (if people must "Arch swing" to somehow feel complete) that people swing from the Gateway Arch in downtown St.Louis. I mean, what a thrill! Especially when the STLPD is waiting there at the end of the ride to put them in jail overnight with felons and other interesting folks! And the STL police have such a fine reputation for their compassion!

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

personal note; I was born right down the road from where the St. Louis arch stands today. In my very early days, it was a ghetto of crime and poverty. I lived half way between the Mississippi riverfront landing and where the old original Sportsmens Park was located. Getto and Sportsmans Park are both long gone.

Edited by Gary M

I'm with you Gary M! Primal screams are good and therapeutic for you, let it all hang out loudly!!!

Seriously - I've never been, but the image of that arch is beautiful. I can't believe that Corona Arch isn't protected, are you kidding me? You might be interested in setting up an online petition to bring attention to the situation?

tmountainnut

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/58003748-78/amp-arch-corona-blm.html.csp

One guy has already dies, one person was seriously injured.

As far as shutting it down, it'll probably go down like base jumping in Zion and Yosemite. Its not legal, but a few people will still do it. Being illegal will keep most of the people who don't know better away.

I'm with you Gary M! Primal screams are good and therapeutic for you, let it all hang out loudly!!!

Seriously - I've never been, but the image of that arch is beautiful. I can't believe that Corona Arch isn't protected, are you kidding me? You might be interested in setting up an online petition to bring attention to the situation?

As I understood the on-line article I happened across Saturday, the State of Utah is strongly considering stepping in due to the deaths. It's a shame and a familiar American story. We want our pursuit of freedom(happiness actually), but then someone goes and ruins it for us all. We have to be protected from ourselves.

I happened across primal scream therapy in the early 1970's. It was popular for a bit,then died out. I will admit, at times it has keep me from losing what little mind i have left. Hiking does the same thing for me, just with a whole lot less screaming!

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

Edited by Gary M