Great Plains Trail

Jen

• Premium Member

Came across this link the other day on Facebook - there is a new long trail being planned through the plains. This site has the proposed route and some other general info. Talk about wide open spaces!

http://greatplainstrail.wordpress.com/about/

I'm wondering what you all think about the multi-use aspect: "The trail will allow for hiking, horseback riding, and in most areas, mountain biking." I'm a bit conflicted about the mountain biking... sounds like a fun trip to make on a bike, but I wonder if it would cause problems between hikers & bikers?

Side note, they have a new buffalo mascot and are having a contest to name him, so check that out on their blog. :)

Most of our trails in Tahoe are multi use and we all sem to get along...I did go on a hike last year with some older folks out of Reno from a national organization who were grumbling about Mtn bikers and how they were ready to stab their hiking pole in the pokes if they felt the bikers were racing by too fast. I pleaded..please don't do that. I used to be a Mtn biker when I was younger. This older group was pleasantly surprised at how polite the bikers were that stopped to let us pass on the single track. I might add we were hiking on the Flume Trail which, although is part of the Tahoe Rim multi use trail, it originally was and still is a famous single track Mtn bike ride from Marlette Lake to Sand Harbor in Tahoe. So I feel like we were poaching THEIR territory.

I have to admit I did not know plans had been made for the Great Plains Trail. However, I am familiar with the Arikaree Breaks. I day hiked this area several times, but its been years ago.

I find it facinating that the Great Plains Trail web site has quotes from Walt Whitman and William Least Heat Moon. I have often enjoyed Leaves of Grass and PrairyErth while hiking Arikaree Breaks and the Flint Hills. Add Thoreau and you've got my all-time US favorites. It's hard to top reading Whitman while out on the prairie or the high plains.

I'd be happy to share this trail with the biking folks. I do it now with other trails, so it's no big deal to me.

• Premium Member

I'm glad to hear that you've both had good experiences with mountain bikers on the trail. I've only had one bad experience, likely just due to the rudeness of a couple of people. Otherwise, I think it could be a lot of fun to do a long bike-ride through the plains. And I wouldn't mind sharing the trail either way.

The quotes they chose to use really are perfect. :) This trail seems like a great idea, and quite different from the other long trails in the country.

My only problem with Mt bikers is my inability to hear them when they roll up behind me. I usually wear hearing aids but not when it's windy. So between the wind & and such they sometimes scare the pee out of me when I suddenly hear a voice behind me. But most are very polite and amused by my antics.

I would suggest folks be realistic. The more potential users of a trail, the more likley it is to be built, maintained, etc.

It would be nice if select sections are kept in a "more primitive" mode, that is for the hiking and backpackers. That's how our local trailmakers try to please the various different outdoor groups. We all know the bikes and horses can really tear up a trail.