Appalachian Trail 2013

HikingTheTrail

AdventureMyk

Random question: is that $4-5k figure per person? I'm wondering how many people can budget to take up to 5 months off of work, have an extra $5k on top of it (plus more for emergencies) and then still figure out how to get to the start/stop points and back. Lots of logistical bits. At least living next to the AT I can simply do some nice multi-night short stages and either out/back or make loops off of the trail. I'd love to do a full thru hike but I just can't see it happening. <sigh> So many wants!!! :)

What happened to carrying 5 pounds of Bulgar and some hot sauce? Cripes, if it costs that much these days then I'm heading to the Bahamas!

• 2 weeks later...

Random question: is that $4-5k figure per person? I'm wondering how many people can budget to take up to 5 months off of work, have an extra $5k on top of it (plus more for emergencies) and then still figure out how to get to the start/stop points and back. Lots of logistical bits. At least living next to the AT I can simply do some nice multi-night short stages and either out/back or make loops off of the trail. I'd love to do a full thru hike but I just can't see it happening. <sigh> So many wants!!! :)

do what you can when you can. many people spend years saving and planning, and then bail out after a few days on the trail.i havent thru hiked, but ive done some 500+ mile section hikes on the at, and ive had great times every time.do a multi day hike, then a week, then see if you can sewing 2 weeks. hiking for 6 months, in rain sleet, snow, etc. is not for everyone. befor you mortgage the house and quit your job, see if you can handle a couple of weeks on the trail before you entertain 5-6 months.