IlliniHike

Hey Everyone. I'm from Illinois. I like to spend time on the local trails but really like to travel to hike/backpack/camp as well. I did a section hike of the AT this past spring and Mount Rainier the summer of 2013. I was able to do some backpacking in Romania several years ago that I will never forget. I'm hoping to hit the Boundary Waters next summer but we'll see how that unfolds. If anyone has some hidden gems in the Midwest I'd be very interested to hear about them. I really enjoy doing short overnight hikes and camping on the trail.

Jarrett.Morgan

I am new to the site as well but welcome to the site. It is great that you were able to adventure overseas and I am completely jealous. I too have been doing short overnighters because of work. Plus I'd much rather pitch camp on the trail than camping out of my car. I'll take either one tho as long as I can get outdoors.

Welcome, Illini! I'm a Flatlander, too, from the NW suburbs of Chicago. As I'm sure you know, in our state, mostly what you can expect are trails with campgrounds (not real backpacking). But, both of the Kettle Moraine Parks (north and south) in Wisconsin have good trails with backpacking shelters. Devil's Lake is a great place to go hiking - do the West and East Bluffs around the lake for a good workout. All three of the aforementioned parks are part of the Ice Age Trail. Indiana's Turkey Run and Shades State Parks have good hiking, too. Up in Michigan, I'd recommend Isle Royale National Park, one of the least visited National Parks. I backpacked for a week up there last summer - very rustic, and good hiking. I hear that the Porcupine Mountains in Michigan is a great place to backpack - hoping to get up there in the next month or so...

Hi Illinihike,

I hike and backpack all over Wisconsin and the UP of Michigan. Check out the Ice Age trail, North Country Trail, Porcupine Mountain Sate Park MI, Isle Royal NP, Pictured Rocks NL, Big Island Wilderness, Sylvania Wilderness to name a few. Several of the state parks have walk in sites. I've also been to Boundary Waters/Quetico several times. Most of these places have websites to check out.

I still have 3 trips planned yet this fall. Let me know if I can help you out. NCT is my favorite.

Howdee:

I too am brand new to the board. I don't know the Midwest at all but have seen wonderful photos of your magnificent trees and the amazing waterfalls of Wisconsin. Came to know a great young man from Romania this past summer, he was working on a J1 visa in GTNP. Have fun!

Welcome Illini,

Not going to be any help on midwest camp/hike locations but I too hate camping anywhere you can get a motorized vehicle, including Jeeps and ATV's. Just not the same experience.