The Making of a Trail Dog

Gary M

The past year I have been working to rehabilitate a rescue dog, and train him to be an ace companion trail dog.

We still have a long way to go, but progress is definitely being made. This morning I took "Truman" for his first real 2 hour training hike in the woods. Previously, he had to be restricted to long walks in the park.

He did fine considering his major past behavior problems.

Hopefully, sometime later this year I am going to post the entire story in segments, as I feel it may be of some interest to TG readers.

post-135-143508720869_thumb.jpg

Truman cooling off at Kill Creek, Kansas

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

Edited by Gary M
Updated info

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

That's pretty cool Gary, congrats on the progress! Definitely looking forward to reading all the parts of the story.

That's pretty cool Gary, congrats on the progress! Definitely looking forward to reading all the parts of the story.

Aaron,

Thank you for your interest.

I thought this might work best as a multi-segment forum feature vs actually being included in TrailGroove magazine. I realize this is a bit off of the traditional hiking and backpacking subject matter, but hope other readers who either hike with their dogs or simply love dogs might be interested.

It takes considerable time and effort to train even a well adapted dog for the trail. When your working with rescue dogs as we do, progress is slow and takes commitment. I now feel more confident my wife and I will be able to report a real success story with Truman by late this year or early 2015.

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

Edited by Gary M
spelling

Jarrett.Morgan

That is great that you are rehabilitating a dog. They make great hiking companions. Plus, I am excited to read about Truman's triumphs and Progress. I am sure it will frustrating at times, but ultimately rewarding.

That is great that you are rehabilitating a dog. They make great hiking companions. Plus, I am excited to read about Truman's triumphs and Progress. I am sure it will frustrating at times, but ultimately rewarding.

Jarret.Morgan;;;

Thank you for your interest and support. This allows me to combine my two favorite pastime hobbies, hiking and dogs. I've hiked almost for 40 years (off and on) with a canine companion,and I really enjoy the experience.

Thanks again, as noted I hope to post a multi-segmented report later in 2014 or early 2015.

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

I forgot to ask....

Your forum entries mention a blog about adventures with your dog.

Do you have a link or an address of some kind?

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

My wife and I wouldn't even consider backpacking without the canines and one of the reasons we don't hike much in national parks. In fifty something years of backpacking, I've always had at least one dog along.

14466310627_a52a6ecc6f_b.jpg

Thanks for the interest Gary. The website is http://adventureswithbg.blogspot.com or you can click on the word blog in my signature.

I read and enjoyed your blog!

I am especially grateful you included a section on canine bloat, or flipped stomachs. Many dog owners are totally unaware of this syndrome; as an owner of (currently 2) Newfoundlands,it is something I always keep in mind.

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

My wife and I wouldn't even consider backpacking without the canines and one of the reasons we don't hike much in national parks. In fifty something years of backpacking, I've always had at least one dog along.

14466310627_a52a6ecc6f_b.jpg

Hey grizzled,

It's been over 40 years with a dog for me.

At first, I had no idea what I was doing, but luckily my canine companion at the time Rasputin (a giant sized and epic Black Lab) did!

I hope to post The Making of a Trail Dog later this year.

Happy Trails, loved seeing your canine friends!

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

Edited by Gary M