Longest You Have Camped at Once

laschke

What was the longest amount of time you spent in the wilderness?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What was the longest amount of time you spent in the wilderness?

• 0-4 Days
    • 4 Days- 1 Week
    • 1-2 Weeks
    • 2 Weeks- 1 Month
    • 1 Month-2 Months
    • >2 Months

I asked this on another forum but what is the longest amount of time you have been out in the wilderness? This could be for any reason including camping, hiking, fishing, hunting, etc., as long as it includes some sort of camping and not staying in a sturdy shelter (Sturdy shelter= cabin, shack, RV, etc.) and also the fact you don't have things like running water, electricity, etc.

AdventureMyk

Several 5-7 day runs but I haven't managed any more than that as this evil creation called work gets in the way. That and finding others who are willing to go more than an overnight is pretty difficult.

• Like 1

tmountainnut

If my roadtrips where i'm using my old honda civic hatch count and camping every night, i've gotten a few two week trips in, but if that doesn't count, 5 days in true wilderness is the most i can claim, also because of work. My road trips are nice because i can see a lot of different areas within a short amount of time for pretty cheap (less than $200), scouting out adventures for specific areas.

Eventually i hope i can get myself to a place where i can take off for a month or more of backpacking, but there are a lot of trappings when you have a kid.

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

My longest trip has been 10 days in the Wind River Range, it was definitely great to get out for that long and really get in the groove so to speak! I'd probably say in the future that's about my limit though, 10 days of food for me and my dog was pretty heavy the first couple days, although overall I pack lighter now. That may not be the only limit though, a shower and a burger were definitely becoming a priority towards the end of the trip.

ianwiththedreadlocks

I've done a fair amount of long term camping. I lived in alaska for a while and was doing 40day+ trips through the wrangells and chugach. Spent a 6 weeks or so playing on the AT as well. Couple of 30 days trips in wyoming and montana and the canandian Rockies. If anyone needs any help planning for long term trips, let me know!

I think about 10 days has been my max. That Beartooth trip started at Cooke and ended on Lake Fork Rock Creek. With zigs and zags, including Castle Rock Glacier, something around 70 miles. Just trying to get all the food in your pack gets to be a challenge on a long trip.

Ten days from Kennedy Meadows to VVR w/o a resupply in the High Sierra on the PCT (Whitney side trip included).

By far the highlight of my backpacking "career".

My longest is 12 days at Philmont Scout Ranch in the Sangre de Cristo mountains of New Mexico - twice! I know some people would say that doesn't count but if we're judging by sleeping in tents, no running water or electricity, it counts. Next to that, I completed a 9 day trek in Yosemite's wilderness this past July - it was amazing!

Philmont definitely counts! It's really not that different other than just a lot more people. Philmont is actually my longest at just around 12 days. Did about 100 miles. Great experience!

ianwiththedreadlocks

My longest is 12 days at Philmont Scout Ranch in the Sangre de Cristo mountains of New Mexico - twice! I know some people would say that doesn't count but if we're judging by sleeping in tents, no running water or electricity, it counts. Next to that, I completed a 9 day trek in Yosemite's wilderness this past July - it was amazing!

Totally Counts! I loved my experience at philmont. Clearly it's busy, but Mt. Phillips is still one of my favorite peaks I've been too.