Bag too small?

clearlybored

clearlybored

Hi Everyone,

So I'm almost ready for my first solo backpacking trip in a couple weeks. I've got it narrowed down to either Big Sur or Big Basin Redwood State Park. Just out of curiosity I started to pack my bag today to see how everything would fit and I don't think everything is gonna fit. My bag is an Osprey Kestrel 48. I don't think I'm carrying a lot of extraneous stuff. Do most people backpack with larger bags?

Yep, at 2900 cubic inches, it's going to a bit tight with normal type gear. What are you using for gear? I'm using the Aether 70 at about 4,100 cubic inches. Even that required a few gear changes from what I used to use. I'm sure the Kestral 48 would be ok with a small tent and a shorter trip. This is where things like Thermarest's NeoAir pads really help.

I also don't use the bag compartment for the bag. A good compression sack will get the bag smaller than stuffing it there and I use that space for clothing with the bag in the main compartment-aside the tent, then the rest of the gear on top of those.

Jarrett.Morgan

It depends on how long you will be out on your trip, but a 48 L bag should be close to enough. The pack I use for weekend trips is a REI Venturi 45 and I can always make everything fit except my dogs bed roll, which I lash to the bottom. I do hike pretty light so you may need a little more room, but for a 2-3 day trip 48 L should be close to what you need.

How many nights are you going out for? And what type of tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad and stove are you carrying?

In my opinion, for any trips of 2 or more nights, I find that a pack in the range of 55 L to 65 L is preferable. And when solo backpacking, one can't share a cooking system with someone else and must carry the First Aid kit too, so solo backpacking usually requires one carry more gear then usual.

Is your Kestrel 48 pack new and could you return it if necessary for something a little larger? I use an Osprey Volt 60 for all my backpacking and find it just right for anywhere from 2 nights to a week on the trail. If the Kestrel 48 pack is the one you definitely will be using you can attach your sleeping pad/mat on the bottom outside of the pack with the attached straps so that would give you more useable room inside the pack and you could use the stretchy mesh front pocket to store a few items outside the pack too.

Good luck! :D

I have found that my Osprey Kestrel 58 will work for up to a week in the back country. I could probably make it functional for longer than that by strapping some stuff to the exterior (but that's something I try to stay away from if at all possible). I will use my Go-Lite Jam 50 if I'm only going to be out for 2-3 days.

clearlybored

So I sucked it up and went out and bought another bag. I stayed with the osprey brand and purchased the aether 70. The kestrel I'll keep in case one of my friends finally decides to give up the bar for one night and join me on an adventure. Again, Thanks for the advice!