Reasonable Weight Expectation

BrandyO

I have a very light & small 40 degree sleeping bag that I got for less than $40. It's around 1 lb.

I'm shopping for something warmer. I know someone with a 0 degree bag that she swears weighs less than 1 lb, that she got for $200.

I've been shopping online for a couple weeks and haven't found anything close to that. What do you all think is a reasonable weight for a 0-20 degree bag ?

I've had several people tell me that A) they have a tent that weighs only a pound or B) a sleeping bag that weighs less then a pound. I'm still waiting to see either one of them. :eek:

If you are looking for a down bag, somewhere between 2 to 3 lbs would be about average for a 0 to 20 degree range. As an example, a 20 degree Marmot Helium down bag weighs about 2 lb 6 oz, which is now a treated water-resistant down. The previous version Marmot Helium 20 degree bag, which I own and which has the non-treated down, comes in at 2 lb 2 oz..

For a synthetic, a weight of around 3 to 4 lbs would be about right. The North Face Dark Star synthetic 0 degree bag weighs in at 4 lbs even.

Hope this helps.

I have yet to see a bag rated much below 20 degrees that weighs less than 2 lbs and even those get somewhat spendy. Last spring I bought (REI dividend) a North Face Hightail 3S in regular length and it weighs right at 2 lbs with 850 fill. My wife has a zero degree REI Kilo Plus with 750 fill. It weighs 2 lbs 8 oz with the compression bag. I think these are realistic weights for those temp rated bags. The REI Kilo Plus was a really good buy several years back but was still over $200.

For what my 2 cents is worth, bags are not something to cheap out on if you actually want comfort in the backcountry. And you will not likely find something both cheap and light for a cold weather bag.

I've seen hers, and it is lighter than mine.But that's all I know. lol

I'm not looking to cheap out on it. I'm trying to find out what is reasonable to expect, since I've never shopped for anything I could use in freezing temps before.

2 -4 lbs sounds about like what I'm finding. I can stop searching for a mythical sleeping bag now. Thanks. :)

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Maybe they meant Celsius? :D Even then hard to find...I would say you're usually going to average closer to the 2lb mark for a nicer 20 degree down bag and ~3lbs for a 0 degree depending on the bag and sizing with some lighter exceptions to be found. The ZPacks 20 degree bag I'm using weighs 25.65 ounces with the optional hood and options in a long / wide version, and the 6' Western Mountaineering 20 degree Ultralite we have comes in at 29.6 ounces. Since I can push my 20 degree bag lower with a down jacket and other clothing a 20 is the warmest bag I own.

I've had several people tell me that A) they have a tent that weighs only a pound or B) a sleeping bag that weighs less then a pound. I'm still waiting to see either one of them. :eek:

I use an older ZPacks Hexamid Twin that's pretty close! 15.7 ounces in its stuff sack...But I will admit adding stakes and the optional poles (I don't use trekking poles) puts me over. :D

I've found thru the years that hikers and backpackers are a bit like fisherman. That is they have been known to exaggerate a bit; the difference being fisherman exaggerate up ("Hey, I caught a 25 lb trout last week and had a 35 pounder hooked but he got away"), whereas hikers and backpackers exaggerate down ("My four season tent weights under 2 lbs, and that includes the poles and stakes!")

There is a sign when you enter a Bass Pro Shop that reads, "Welcome hunters, fisherman, and other liars"

Got to run, I just got back from a hike to the North Pole and back!:rolleyes:

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

Edited by Gary M