Backpacking in the Grand Canyon

Aaron Zagrodnick

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Winter had been especially harsh, even while living in the mild climate of Colorado’s Front Range. Multiple subzero nights had made me tired of the cold, longing for a warm retreat. As good as a tropical vacation with white sandy beaches sounded, I felt the need to get out and get dirty in the desert. I had backpacked into the Grand Canyon…

Ted Ehrlich heads into the canyon, read the full article in Issue 18:

The Grand Tour – Hermit’s Rest to South Kaibab

Backpacking in the Grand Canyon - Hermit's Rest to Kaibab

Issue 18 Page 1

Nice pics Ted. What you did to score your permit by electing to stay at the less frequently requested CR riverside campsites is the way to go IMHO. Of course this makes for added elev and miles doing this hike from Hermits Rest Tr to the S Kaibab Tr.

Nice pics Ted. What you did to score your permit by electing to stay at the less frequently requested CR riverside campsites is the way to go IMHO. Of course this makes for added elev and miles doing this hike from Hermits Rest Tr to the S Kaibab Tr.

Yeah, its a little more gain to do it the way i went, but it didn't look like it would work so well to go the opposite direction with the permits that were available. Plus Phantom ranch is a better place to spend the last night in the canyon in my opinion. I think its also a good first trip for the Grand Canyon too, since you get to see the corridor and the more remote parts of the inner canyon at the same time.

I think my next trip down the canyon will be Lipan Point to Grandveiw point, although i have a few ideas if i ever get a packraft (Nankoweap to North Kaibab Trail is the big one i'd like to link up).

-Ted