Vandalism in national parks

Gary M

I suppose the TrailGroove readers in the Western US are already aware of this, but I just found out this morning...........

ASSOCIATED PRESS October 22, 2014

SALT LAKE CITY — The National Park Service says vandalism has been found within five western national parks and officials are investigating vandalism reports at five other parks.

Park Service spokesman Jeffrey Olson said Wednesday that he could not disclose the type or extent of the vandalism because the case is under investigation.

Olson says the vandalism has been confirmed in Yosemite and Death Valley National Parks in California; Canyonlands and Zion in Utah; and Crater Lake in Oregon.

Officials are working to confirm vandalism in Joshua Tree, Sequoia and Kings Canyon in California; Rocky Mountain in Colorado; Bryce Canyon in Utah; and Grand Canyon in Arizona.

This is an image I found on-line of the vandalism:

post-135-143508721183_thumb.jpg

So sad that a few individuals would destroy what we all love and cherish. I mean, someone did this at the Grand Canyon? To me it's the same as if someone vandalized a church, synagogue, temple, or mosque.

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

Edited by Gary M

Gary et al,

I read about this yesterday via a link I received on Facebook. For anyone who's interested, go to Modernhiker.com. Casey Schreiner wrote the article, "Art" in the park. According to this article, this "art" is allegedly being done by one person. I can't confirm it's accuracy, but the idea that someone would do this for fun - it's just appalling!