marks on jacket due to friction/scratch

dexchao

My Gore-tex jacket now has some marks which I previously thought was just stains.

post-1164-143508721618_thumb.jpg

I just hand-washed it today and noticed that some marks were a bit worsen as I scrubbed. So I thought it might be the coating and tested the translucency. When I put it against the light, I can clearly see that it's more translucent at these marks.

post-1164-143508721631_thumb.jpg

Will it get better if I apply waterproofing treatment?

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Does it leak now? If you use a DWR restorer it should help make the face fabric more water repellent and help with breathability in the rain but if the actual membrane has been damaged it wouldn't restore the waterproofness...It looks like a pretty small area, so if it were me I'd probably just patch it up with something like Tenacious Tape since I have that on hand, but it looks like McNett makes an actual Gore-Tex patch kit as well:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001UNEX4A/

Thank you for your reply.

I don't think it leaks. It can still repel water to some extent. Now that it's dry, the marks look less noticeable. I was worried about both the functionality and the look. As for the functionality, I hope the DWR restorer will help. As for the look, I don't know what I could do. When wet, they look just like grease/dirty marks and there are some other marks besides the one I show here.

At least it wasn't that HIGHLY acidic Alien blood which you sure would have known about had that dropped out of the sky on your jacket.