Greetings from Tennessee

Jwenzel

Hello everyone. My name is Josh. I am from Maryville, TN. Maryville is locate right outside of Knoxville. I have been an outdoor enthusiast for years, but I mainly focus on hiking. I typically go hiking once a week, but on Nov 7 of this year, I broke my ankle coming down from Mt Leconte. It was a day hike and I was making great time. I hit a wet rock and boom...I broke it. Luckily I was only about .75 miles headed back when it happened. I crawled and dragged myself about 1/4 mile back and then the lodge staff at Leconte were able to litter me the rest of the way. I owe everything to the amazing staff there. I ended up being airlifted to the University of Tennessee Hospital. I got a plate and 8 screws in my ankle. The doctor said to expect a full recovery. I start physical therapy next week. I won't be able to walk for at least another 4-6 weeks. Hopefully I will be back in good enough shape to go on a short hike in early February. I am very excited to be a part of this community and I can't wait to get back on the trail!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Welcome Josh! Sorry to hear about the ankle, hope the recovery goes well.

Sad to hear about the ankle break but good to know the staff was on top of it. I don't think I have ever been on a longer hike I didn't tweak an ankle but so far no issues.

Btw, greetings from Knoxville. :) Get better!