Where will your feet take you this year?

PaulGS

Though the new year has just started, do you have any specific/special plans for hiking and backpacking this year?

For myself, I've booked a 5 day backpacking trip in early July to Berg Lake in Mount Robson Provincial Park , BC. Reservations started January 2nd so I'm hoping the actual dates I've booked work out for me.

post-611-143508722913_thumb.jpg

Floe Lake Trail, Kootenay National Park

I've never backpacked in the US so for a mid-September trip I'm planning to do the 4 hour drive from Calgary to Glacier National Park in Montana and go for several nights in the backcountry there. I'll submit my requests for that trip in April.

I plan on doing several other trips but those are my two main ones for now. How about you? Where will your feet take you this year?

Edited by PaulGS

I'm not planning on getting too far from home but will get another week trip in the Beartooth's, and hopefully-depending on my wife's actual retirement date-a week in the Spanish Peaks area of the Lee Metcalf. Those would be in addition to the usual short trips in the Tobacco Roots and maybe the Taylor-Hilgard area (also in the Lee Metcalf).

AdventureMyk

I already started with a short overnight hike on the Appalachian Trail this past weekend. Turned out to be fantastic weather-wise even with all the rain around us. The rest of the year will be extending a few longer overnight/multi-nights and hopefully some true section-hikes (park a car at one point, drive another to the start point kind of deals). Gotta start the new year off right. :)

Jarrett.Morgan

I want to do a thru hike of the Texas Lone Star Trail and spend around 5 days in Palo Duro Canyon in north Texas.

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Into the Wind River Range as much as possible, and likely some spring and fall Utah trips as well. Maybe something a little different too, still hoping to get in a trip to Isle Royale, do some more hiking on the Ouachita Trail, etc.

I don't have any major backpacking trips scheduled for this year :(, but I am going on a 12 day trip to Alaska with my BSA group where we will be spending a few days hiking at Denali. Other than that, I'm hoping to spend some weekends backpacking in adjoining state's parks. 2016 is our big trip where my son will be leading a group on a week long section hike on the AT. But, any time on the trail is a good time!

Vern Vartdal

With any luck I will take a new 4Runner TRD Pro into the Gand Staircase Escalante, and visit the 14ers of the San Juans. In the Staircase I like to camp and hike Brighams Plain road, Yellow Rock, Red Top, Hackberry Canyon, the Paria River, then up to the wolverine loop, waterpocket fold, Henry mountains... I suppose I'll have to go back to work sometime. I also want to take on the sand hills by the wave and the San Juans where I have been thwarted in the past by a lesser vehicle. Gotta love the outdoors.

Paul -- Are you doing any peaks while in Robson Park? I don't know the area very well, but with Robson climbers being helicoptered in, it seems like it could be a bit noisy/crowded going up and down to Berg Lake.

Vern -- If you can, you should also visit Vestal Basin, which is much less crowded than Chicago Basin, and also more scenic.

As for myself, I'm hopefully spending some quality time in Titcomb Basin in the Winds, some in the Palisades in the Sierra, and the rest TBD.

seano, I'm glad you mentioned the helicopters as I hadn't thought of that. I will be at Berg Lake on a Tuesday to Thursday and on checking, see that helicopters are only allowed to land on Mondays and Fridays, so I should be good. I don't really do peaks :eek: but I hope to do the Snowbird Pass trail when I'm there. When did you visit Mount Robson?

When did you visit Mount Robson?

I was there mid-August last year. I did the south face route on Robson on a helicopter day, and there was a fair bit of traffic going up and down the valley between Kinney and Berg Lakes. Since I'm mostly a peak-bagger and not a backpacker, it's hard for me to imagine going to the park and not climbing the huge namesake mountain that always dominates the view.