Where will your feet take you this year?

PaulGS

I will be leaving for a 10 day trip to New Zealand in 28 days. Also planning an 8 day trip to the Canadian Rockies in early August, another trip to Aaron's stomping grounds (the Wind Rivers) in September. Many weekend trips to mountains in my home state of Colorado in between.

I just returned today from a roller coaster 70 mile Georgia Loop winter hike. The GL are short sections of the Benton Mackaye and Appalachian Trails and the entire Duncan Ride Trial(a short National Scenic trail in GA). It was cold, single digits to below zero at night with day time highs in the low 30's some days less. Some days the wind made it feel much colder. I still can't feel my finger tips despite med wt glove liners/med wt Windstopper glove shells, hand warmer heat packs, and almost always hiking with my hands inside my down jacket.

I'll get my 1500 miles in this yr with at least one long thru hike of something like the PNWT, Idaho's Centennial Trail, or the Arizona Tr. I'll finish my remaining 360 miles of the Grand Enchantment Tr as well. Lots of little 2-5 day stuff thrown around the country southern Utah(Capitol Reef, Canyonlands, Zion, Escalante Grand Staircase), Washington, Arkansas(Ozark Highlands Tr), etc . I'll hike some in Hawaii Volcanoes NP probably doing another summitting of Mauna Loa but descending down the Anapo Tr this time, which is a trail I've never done. I'll do some allowed legal Hawaiian bush wacks on private land as well that nobody would likely know about and I wouldn't disclose of publically out of respect for the landowners and Hawaiian culture. A Wonderland Tr thru will be on my time stressed hiking radar this yr as well. Maybe, when I'm at Rainier I'll finally be able to summit it. An off trail route in Joshue Tree NP or another Big bend NP off trail hike late in 2015 would be nice as a holiday treat. I'm feeling the need to almost entirely stay away from east coast hiking in 2015.

I have 2 bigger trips planned for this year.

1) Hitting the SW Virginia AT (Mount Rogers Highlands) first part of June. Taking wife and our 2 youngest kids (12 and 17). We will drive to Damascus VA, take shuttle to Mount Rogers National Headquarters, spend 6 days 5 nights, around 65 miles hiking back to Damascus. I keep thinking I'm nuts for taking family. Solo's are so much easier!

2) In early September I will be doing a solo trip on the CDT thru the Weminuche wilderness (Wolf Creek to Silverton or Chicago Basin) Fly to Durango, spend 2 nights to acclimate , hitch to Wolf Creek, walk to Silverton area, grab train back to Durango. I will have 8 days to enjoy and explore the wilderness.

There will also be several weekend and overnight trips exploring Wisconsin and the upper Michigan.

Right now i only have one trip really planned out for march for going to the Grand Canyon again.

The rest of my plans for this next year are kinda dependent on permits/red tape. I'll hopefully know by the end of march where that lands me. I'm hoping for a bigger trip to California :-)

I am hoping to get to SE Utah in April and the Sangres in September. Otherwise I'll be content with my weekends in and around our first National Forest.

post-1084-143508722953_thumb.jpg

post-1084-143508722938_thumb.jpg

post-1084-143508722946_thumb.jpg

Did a two day trip in Grand Canyon this past September. Down South Kaibab and up Bright Angel, stayed at Phantom Ranch. Since last year was the big ditch, thinking this year things need to look up! Rockies...14'er... That is the goal!

I just returned today from a roller coaster 70 mile Georgia Loop winter hike. The GL are short sections of the Benton Mackaye and Appalachian Trails and the entire Duncan Ride Trial(a short National Scenic trail in GA). It was cold, single digits to below zero at night with day time highs in the low 30's some days less. Some days the wind made it feel much colder. I still can't feel my finger tips despite med wt glove liners/med wt Windstopper glove shells, hand warmer heat packs, and almost always hiking with my hands inside my down jacket.

I'll get my 1500 miles in this yr with at least one long thru hike of something like the PNWT, Idaho's Centennial Trail, or the Arizona Tr. I'll finish my remaining 360 miles of the Grand Enchantment Tr as well. Lots of little 2-5 day stuff thrown around the country southern Utah(Capitol Reef, Canyonlands, Zion, Escalante Grand Staircase), Washington, Arkansas(Ozark Highlands Tr), etc . I'll hike some in Hawaii Volcanoes NP probably doing another summitting of Mauna Loa but descending down the Anapo Tr this time, which is a trail I've never done. I'll do some allowed legal Hawaiian bush wacks on private land as well that nobody would likely know about and I wouldn't disclose of publically out of respect for the landowners and Hawaiian culture. A Wonderland Tr thru will be on my time stressed hiking radar this yr as well. Maybe, when I'm at Rainier I'll finally be able to summit it. An off trail route in Joshue Tree NP or another Big bend NP off trail hike late in 2015 would be nice as a holiday treat. I'm feeling the need to almost entirely stay away from east coast hiking in 2015.

ive been looking at the idaho centennial trail myself, but resupply seems rather problematic. how closely have you looked at it dogwood?

• 2 weeks later...

2015, I plan on as many weekend trips into the Hoosier National Forest and Shawnee National Forest as I can get. I have a week scheduled in the Red River Gorge/Daniel Boone National Forest in June; plus two weeks in July that my son and I still have to decide where to go.