Where will your feet take you this year?

PaulGS

I can see the Pecos Wilderness from my house and from my office. I hike there frequently.

Hi Graywolf! I'll keep that in mind. I don't have all of the logistics worked out yet, so I may be reaching out for some suggestions for a place to camp/stay the night before or after the hike.

Thanks!

Hi Graywolf! I'll keep that in mind. I don't have all of the logistics worked out yet, so I may be reaching out for some suggestions for a place to camp/stay the night before or after the hike.

Thanks!

No problem.

Curious as to why the Boardstand Tr alternate? I considered it on last yr's thru hike of the Ouachita Tr but I saw no great advantage in doing so othere trhan a possible water source. The OT is a uncrowded virtually vacant of hiker traffic NST worthy of greater recognition IMHO. Make sure to note the new shelters and H2O sources. Print out the free topos and perhaps grab Tim Ernst OT Guidebook. I found both indispensable.

• 4 weeks later...

Just going to try to start getting out more often. Used to do some in my last marriage, but kids coupled with a (ex)wife whose idea of roughing it was her parents cabin where you couldn't take a shower due to it turning her hair orange kind of slowed me to a stop. (well, that and the death of my backpacking partner)

The new wife is more into it, so we're going to start getting the kids out for some day hikes (started today, Great Falls Billy Goat C), and possibly some overnights with just the two of us. We're in Maryland, so they'll mostly be around here but we may try to do some in East Tennessee, as my parents live there. Hoping to maybe try to make a long GSMNP weekend trip in the fall.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm taking a road trip with my dad and sister and once that is over (end in San Francisco) I will continue on to Yosemite and hike North Dome, May Lake, Glacier Point, and hopefully Half Dome (I'm on the lottery system for a permit). I plan to walk the Mirror Lake trail too. After that I plan to fly to Washington and hike Mt. St. Helen's which is a bucket list hike for me. I want to develop good mountaineering skills so that one day I can hike glaciers/volcanoes in Iceland.

• 2 months later...

Hikerboy, long time replying but I've only done some preliminary research on Idaho's Centennial Tr. But, yes I see some longish distances between resupplies but then again I'll increase my typical  MPD's in a few segments and/or do some unorthodox longer hitches than most thru-hikers would normally agree to, so I can get my resupplies done still in a light wt/UL food bag overall UL style. I'd like to combine a Centennial Tr thru and a hefty section of the PNWT in one longer OUT THERE trek.  The Centennial Tr is about 2 yrs away. Too much on my hiking calendar already along with other activities to thru it this yr. 

• Like 1