Looking for an easy to moderate trail in VT

ajlott

Hello!

I'm getting ready to do my first solo overnight hike within the next month and I was looking for some recommendations for some easy to moderate trails I could do in VT. I plan to be out for at least a few days, but possibly up to a week, not necessarily on the same trail. As a point of reference, for my first overnight hike I did Kinsman Ridge in NH with my buddy and didn't even make it to the first peak. We had to hike out the next day so we couldn't continue on to the first peak in the morning. The reason for this is I'm not in the greatest shape and I'm kind of on the large side. I'm hoping as I keep hiking I'll get in better shape and get up to a little better pace. Thanks for any suggestions y'all might have. Cheers!

Aaron

• 1 month later...

check out the long trail. it is the trail the Appalachian trail was modeled after. it runs concurrent with the AT in VT, but also digresses into its own. Plenty of fairly moderate stretches.

I did a two day hike on the AT from North Adams, MA (route 2) to Bennington, VT(route 9.) It was not too difficult that I remember. Two days of hiking. Stayed at Seth Warner Shelter. There is the Congdan shelter along the route to make it into a three day hike.