Knife?

HikahHikah1-9

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

I've found that I usually only utilize a knife to open stubborn drink mix packets and the like, take care of a blister, etc. and a small discontinued Wenger Swiss Army Knife seems to do a great job in that regard...Sharp, great scissors, and a few other tools that come in handy on the trail or at home on occasion...

All I carry is a small Leatherman Style. Has knife, scissors and file with screw driver end. I think it was 20 bucks at local Fleet Farm store. Weighs .8oz. Though I hardly ever use a knife. I used to carry big old buck knife like I was ready to skin a dear or something.

I paid $20 something for the Leatherman Squirt I have. I don't use the knife blade much either, but the screw drivers, scissors, and pliers get used all the time on everything from eye glass screws to trekking poles. I even suspect the file gets more use than the knife.

Leatherman Skeletool. Hands down the best knife I have ever owned. Solid blade, pliers, phillips head, flat head, wire cutters, biner, and none of the other crap you will never need. I use this thing every day both in the city and in the backcountry. Oh, I forgot the most important part: the bottle opener.:cool:

https://www.leatherman.com/18.html

• 3 weeks later...
Briancaruso1190

I dont care much for fokding knives but i have found that the condor Bushlore mini which is a small fixed blade is just as versatile for around 33 bucks. I usually carry that and a mora to do any of my food prep with.

I dont care much for fokding knives but i have found that the condor Bushlore mini which is a small fixed blade is just as versatile for around 33 bucks. I usually carry that and a mora to do any of my food prep with.

+ 1. I may pick up one of those Condor camp knives one of the these days. I like the looks of the Sapien model. My favorite fixed blade is a Kellam Woverine pukko with a nice "progression tempered" carbon steel blade. I've also carried a Buck Woodsman, a Grohman #3 (aka Boat Knife), and a Cold Steel Mini Bushman. I have a new Mora High Q Robust which I'm anxious to try out, it cost me a whole $8.50 from Sierra Trading Post. Scandinavian knives are great for camping and backpacking. I find fixed blade knives around 4" much more convenient to carry and use while hiking or keep handy and use in camp, plus it is much easier to keep a fixed blade knife clean, especially when used for food prep.

Shaun Squid

I have never really needed a fixed blade when backpacking. What are you using a fixed blade for other than piece of mind (knowing it can tackle tougher jobs than a folder) that a folder cannot do?

I do a lot of fishing so the pliers, wire cutters, and blade on my skeletor have really come in handy. I have also needed the pliers for all sorts of jobs. I just can't think of what I would use a fixed blade for other than processing wood which I don't really need to do anyways.

I'd have to agree with Brian here. I don't trust the folding blade. If it fails for some reason then you have a tool that is dangerous to use and highly increases the risk of injuring yourself. Even if it is just small cut, I try to avoid any inconveniences in my backcountry experiences.

Plus, you can get a full tang knife for just as cheap and light as any folding blade knife. For my typical trips I carry a CRKT N.E.C.K. knife: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DZO2TG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I wrapped the handle with cord myself, but I'm fairly certain that they sell it pre-wrapped now.

When I go UL I carry the CRKT RSK Mk5: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QFE0EK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Small, but I have never run into a situation that it didn't meet my needs.

Found the wrapped version. I don't know if there is $10 worth of cord on this thing or not, but it looks pretty nice:

http://www.amazon.com/Columbia-River-Knife-Tool-2030CW/dp/B002E6T9RS/ref=pd_sim_hi_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1H9TJ54NJ8AA014CP7WA

Edited by kwhowell
Added link

Briancaruso1190

I have had a lot of locks fail on folders and fold into my fingers, both cheap and expensive alike. As kwhowell said for the money I can show you 100 fixed blades that will never fail. Also ogg, from condor they have the basic model I have that in the bigger size, doesn't seem bad either, do you have a link to that mora you brought up?

I have never really needed a fixed blade when backpacking. What are you using a fixed blade for other than piece of mind (knowing it can tackle tougher jobs than a folder) that a folder cannot do?

I do a lot of fishing so the pliers, wire cutters, and blade on my skeletor have really come in handy. I have also needed the pliers for all sorts of jobs. I just can't think of what I would use a fixed blade for other than processing wood which I don't really need to do anyways.

I could cite some other reasons in addition to what the two I've already mentioned but ultimately it just comes down to the fact that I simply enjoy handling and using fixed blade knives, especially nice ones with nice wooden handles brass fittings like my Finish pukko, Buck Woodsman with cocobolo handle, and my Grohman.

• Like 1