Knife?

HikahHikah1-9

HikahHikah1-9

I am looking for durable, sharp folding knife. Thinking about 3 to 4.5 inches blade length. On a budget, maybe 40 dollars maximum. Any suggestions?

What are you looking to be able to do with the knife? I know this may sound like a simple question, but the purpose will help to be able give you advice that makes sense. In the interim, a Victorianox folding/locking one-handed trekker as an option. It is more than $40, but it is worth the money. I have had one for quite a while and it is versatile.

What are you looking to be able to do with the knife?

This!!!!

Personally, I've never felt any need for a large bladed knife in the backcountry and for my use, the Leatherman Squirt fits my needs close to perfect. Light, durable, and very useful.

• 3 weeks later...

Under $40? That'll get you a nice knife. I've been carrying a Swiss Army Knife as part of my EDC for a couple weeks now, and find it completely adequate, though for anything other than the occasional use I get from the SAK, I greatly prefer a locking blade and the capability to open it with one hand.

I'd be a little wary of buying of knives from Walmart. I recently read online a comparison of a Buck 110 fixed blade woodsman's knife from Walmart that sells for $35 and a Buck 110 from Bass Pro that sells for around $60; it was clear that corners were cut by Buck with the Walmart 110. This is a well known fact of Walmart's pricing strategy and relationship with vendors. The more affordable knives don't always have the best steel. I've always liked the 420HC that Buck uses and they make a few folders under $40 in 420HC, made in USA even, like this one:

http://www.buckknives.com/product/bantam-bhw-knife/0286FAM01/

• Like 1

How much of a knife do you need? My $30 Gerber Evo Mid is overkill for backpacking, since all I do is cut cheese, sausage, string, and the occasional steak someone else is willing to pack in. I think Walmart's most useful knife for backpacking isn't in the knife case - it hangs with the waterproof matches, snake-bite kits, and Sawyer Minis. It's a 3' made-in-China locking blade that sells for $1.

Buck makes great knives too.

All I carry is a small Leatherman Style. Has knife, scissors and file with screw driver end. I think it was 20 bucks at local Fleet Farm store. Weighs .8oz. Though I hardly ever use a knife. I used to carry big old buck knife like I was ready to skin a dear or something.