Knife?

HikahHikah1-9

• 2 months later...

Check out the Ontario RAT1, great folder with a 30.00 price. I have used my RAT pretty hard and it always performs.

• 4 weeks later...
Brandon_0384

Personally I am a big knife guy.  I just got into hiking so I cannot give you good advice on a hiking knife, but have 12 years in the military and multiple deployments.  I don't think you can beat a quality knife but if you MUST keep it around $40, look into a classic folder. https://www.boker.de/us/pocket-knife/boker/classic-pocket-knife/110727.html

Don't like gerbers at all.  They come out of the box sharp but the steel does not hold an edge at all.  Good luck in your choice!

• Like 1

Cajunhiker

I use a K Bar. It's sturdy. Dependable. Lite. Balanced. Sharp. Has a great grip and feel. Cost $80, and worth every penny. Mine has a 9-inch blade. Got it mostly because I can use it for chopping and cutting.

image.jpg

• Like 1

Brandon_0384

The KABAR knife is a great knife.  Let me explain a couple of things about it before you run off and buy one.  It got its reputation while in service, but was manufactured by other companies.  Camillus Cutlery is the original maker to the USMC Mark 2 Combat Knife.  Do not get these two missed confused.  One is a great knife while the other is a cheap knockoff.  Now that camillus was bought out, I feel they do not have the same standards as before. Union cutlery, a producer of the mark 2 changed its name to KABAR, to use the KABAR name to gain sales.  At least they are made in the USA.  I feel it's too heavy for a hiking knife.  If you can spare a few extra $, try the Esee Izula at $60.  Great knife. 

image.jpg

• Like 1

Forget folding, if you really need a knife get a Swedish  Mora light my fire, knife plus fire starter, about $25, light and very well made

• 2 months later...

I'm with Cajunhiker, I LOVE my KaBar.  It may be overkill for some people as far as being a knife you would want to take hiking but for me personally I think it's great. I carry the 1251 which is the short version of the original. It weighs 11oz, 9 1/4" overall length and with it on my belt, I never know it's even there until I need it. 

All I carry is a small Leatherman Style. Has knife, scissors and file with screw driver end. I think it was 20 bucks at local Fleet Farm store. Weighs .8oz. Though I hardly ever use a knife. I used to carry big old buck knife like I was ready to skin a dear or something.

A friend of mine has a Leatherman. He got it from a pawn shop for like 8 bux. He was cutting up branches no problem at least an inch thick for the fire. I need something like that.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, Mora knives are what you should be looking at.

Dirt cheap, no locks to fail or gum up, capable of heavier tasks if need be, and sharp as hell out of the box.  They come in both SS and High C steel.  I'd recommend the High C steel as they're usually easier to sharpen.  But they will discolor with use.  That's not a problem unless you're totally anal about keeping your stuff looking like new.  

Lenny