Knife?

HikahHikah1-9

If you want a stainless steel Mora knife, check out the Mora-made but Bahco branded 2444 Carpenter knife. Essentially the Mora Clipper.

http://www.amazon.com/Bahco-2444-Carpenter-Multi-Purpose/dp/B004YV99DA

Bahco is a  tool company (hence the safety orange I suspect) but, like many companies, other companies make products for them.

At less than $10 shipped from Amazon, it is the nice bargain. Just a general utility knife that works well.  I have one and I use it around the home, some camping trips and even backpacking when I take the wife and I am getting a little GOR-MET and want to cook a nice meal. :)

• Like 1

If you want a stainless steel Mora knife, check out the Mora-made but Bahco branded 2444 Carpenter knife. Essentially the Mora Clipper.

http://www.amazon.com/Bahco-2444-Carpenter-Multi-Purpose/dp/B004YV99DA

Bahco is a  tool company (hence the safety orange I suspect) but, like many companies, other companies make products for them.

At less than $10 shipped from Amazon, it is the nice bargain. Just a general utility knife that works well.  I have one and I use it around the home, some camping trips and even backpacking when I take the wife and I am getting a little GOR-MET and want to cook a nice meal. :)

Can't beat the price!

• 6 years later...
Michael aka Mac

A thread that may be years old but of a topic that will never die out.

I have been a knife collector since before I was 10 years of age.  First let me begin by saying that over the years  I have lost faith in folding knives.  I did a blog posting not to long ago on another outdoor website that showed how many people have been injured by folding knives each year. 

Folding knives are such a huge growing market and every Tom, Dick, and Harry Starter-up company are getting their feet wet and putting folders  on the market.  Because there are so many folding knife competitors companies have been trying to compete by lowering prices, this means  taking short cuts.

I wont deny that one gets what they pay for, and the price is cheap because so is the knife quality.  For a high end folder one should expect to pay upwards of over $100. The only folder I still own is my Buck knife, locking blade, that I have had for the past 30 years. I should also note, I still own the Buck knife but I do not bring it with me on any of my outdoor trips.

The only advantages of a folding knife is the size reduction of the total knife when closed, that and folding knives tend to be lighter then their fixed blade counterparts.

Now for the disadvantages:

• Locking mechanism can fail and result in serious  injury
  • Knife can open in the pocket and cut your clothing or puncture your skin
  • Folding blades tend to be less thick of a blade then fixed knives.
  • Inside parts of a folder will rust over time.
  • One must completely take apart a folder and clean & oil all parts to prevent rusting of internal components and to remove all residue. ( for long term storage or every few years of use )
  • Blades can not be used as a pry bar
  • Bushcraft tasks such as baton method to split logs or to chop wood, cannot be done with a folder safely.
  • Folders can be hard to open when you are suffering from hyperthermia or when your hands  are simply ice cold.
  • Tips of the blades are more prone to snap off

I have probably owned more then 100 folders  in my life.  Gas Station folders  From $1-$3,  department store folders like Sears from $30- $50,  Name Brand folders $50 ~ $100.  All of these knives  have since broken in one form or another. A brief list of some of the problems i have had with these knives: 

1) locking mechanism broke ( spring popped out, rusted, wouldn't close, wouldn't remain closed and open in pocket, knife would randomly become unlocked, knife blade actually fell out of housing)  

2) inside components rusted

3) Handle scales fell off or could not be taken off due to rust

4) Blade tip snapped off, or blade snapped in the middle

5) Blade opens unexpectedly 

The only company that I have not lost faith in and only pocket knife folder that I will use is the Victorinox Swiss Army Swiss Champion knife. I have owned that knife for over 28 years and it is still one of my EDC knives.  

Despite loving my Swiss Champ pocket tool/knife,  I always carry in addition to this pocket knife,  1-2 fixed blades on me.

Whether if one is only using their knife for food prep work, or to cut cord, or if they are into Bushcraft and using their knives for splitting logs or chopping down branches or making feather sticks, or if you are into carving making figurines or whistles, a fixed blade knife is your best choice. Not only are there less injuries from people that use a full tang fixed blade, but they can do more tasks then their folding counterparts.

I would suggest brand names still, such as the Ka-bar Companion BK2 or their Becker Necker, the Condor Bushlore or their Rodan knife, Tops Mil Spie 3, Boker Magnum Lil Giant, Schrade SCHF57, Oerla fixed blade knife, these are but a few of the fixed blade knives that I own and have written high reviews on.

Edited by Michael aka Mac