Backpacking Ruby Mtns or Great Basin NP

ogg

I'm planning a road trip this summer, heading out from Southern California, among other things to include exploring Eastern Nevada en route to visit a friend in SLC. I'd like get some solo backpacking in for 1-3 nights. Does anyone have suggestions for good backpack trips in the Ruby Mtns or Great Basin NP?

• 1 month later...

I would say it's better in the spring but the Ruby Crest national Recreation Tr would top my list. It's a great hike capable of being done in three days with two cars or a shuttle. It's also possible to add a day hike in Great Basin NP up to 13+k Wheeler Peak too. IMHO, after having visited and hiked extensively in over 40 NPs GBNP is one of the least appreciated NPs. Great area of NV!

• 1 month later...

Dogwood, thanks. I'm seriously considering the Ruby Crest Trail this summer and have friend that can help me with the shuttle. He drives a Subaru Outback. Would the dirt forest service road from Harrison Pass up to the trailhead any sort of a challenge for a vehicle like an Outback? How about the route up to the Overland Lake trailhead? (I'm considering starting from the Overland trailhead instead of Harrison Pass).