Packing my backpack

TollerMom

Where does the tent go? Inside near the middle of the pack...or outside on top of the pack? It seems a tad wide to lay horizontal inside the pack. I have my sleeping bag in the bottom, followed by my Nemo then some clothes. I will also carry a foam pad...maybe on the outside top as well...or does it go under the pack? Two more days to go!!!

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

A lot of people like to pack their shelter somewhere on the outside of the pack - Which makes a lot of sense for rainy weather, this way you can setup your shelter without having to open up the inside of your pack to the elements first. Also if it's raining the next morning, you can pack everything up inside a rain-free space, put on your rain gear, and then pack up the tent last. Personally however, I prefer to keep the outside pockets on my pack free for things I will be using or might need throughout the day. Most of the time it's not raining when I setup or leave camp, and I also pack everything that needs to stay dry inside dry bags anyway.

I prefer to pack my sleeping bag in the main compartment first, then clothes & my inflatable sleeping pad. After this goes first aid and any other random items, followed by my shelter laid horizontally and cooking / food - Taking care to load heavier items close to my back and not too low or too high in the pack. Experiment to see what feels most comfortable for you and ends up transferring the weight to your hips while maintaining good balance. Anything else that I might need during the day I'll pack outside the pack like rain gear, water bottles, water filter, maps, lunch & snacks, etc.

I checked out the specs on the Kelty Salida 2 (Assuming this is still the tent in question :) ) and it shows a 22" length for the packed size. When using a shelter that packs up to a longer length I'll place the tent vertically on one side inside the pack, then fill in the remaining space with the rest of my gear seeking to keep a side to side weight balance. Another thing to try might be to pack the poles and tent body separately if that allows for a few more options. This way, you might be able to even use a different sized stuff sack that would allow you to pack the tent horizontally if you preferred...But you may also end up liking the vertical arrangement. If you're still using the REI Flash 65, another place to try would be in one of the external side pockets, using the compression strap that runs just above to secure the tent to the side of the pack, and you could also experiment with the external kangaroo / shovel pocket as well.

Regarding the foam pad, there are definitely no "rules" regarding where it should go - You could try hanging it off the bottom but this isn't really my preferred spot, just seems to get in the way. A couple places to try would be again along the side using the side compression strap to hold it on, or it looks like you could use the top lid / compression straps & buckles to secure it horizontally. It also looks like there are a couple outside bungees on the Flash 65 that might have some potential, but I'm not sure if they're large enough. (There's always the DIY modification route) Again the kangaroo pocket could be used, but I wouldn't want to take up that real estate with a foam pad. You can also try strapping the pad to the attachment points on top of the lid.

Hopefully this helps, let us know if you have any more questions and excited to hear how the trip works out!

Thank you thank you thank you! This is really helpful info. I'll try it out when I get home tonight. I have also been watching several YouTube videos on the PCT method of hanging a bear bag. Now to decide on how many ways can I can fix a box of couscous for the weekend. Couscous 'rice pudding', Couscous with smoked salmon and Eric's Wicked Seasoning.....

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

No problem - Hopefully the pack is all ready to go or will be soon! :D

All packed. Now this should be interesting. My pack is 34 lbs for one freakin overnighter. I didn't think my art supplies were that heavy! Hmmmm.

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Looking forward to hearing about the trip - The little things can definitely add up but you can always work to pare that down later. Or course, having fun is the important thing - Let us know how it worked out!

• 1 month later...

I think I had the cooking gear nearer the top. I was carrying a pot with my spoon and cup imside...and a spare fuel for the group. Next time, I will surely trade out my comfy but TOO heavy Nemo Air sleeping pad. Backpacker magazine rated it as one of the best. What I neglected to realize when I bought it was the weight and sheer size of it. Like the size of a regulation football only it didn't narrow. Like the size of a small bear canister. I really need to find something smaller..but without sacrificing too much comfort.