Skiing the Backcountry

Aaron Zagrodnick

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

It is a cold, blustery day in the Colorado backcountry. The mountains are covered in a blanket of snow. The tree branches are bending under the weight of the previous night’s snowfall. A canopy of branches is over the trail. My breath forms a cloud in the morning air. My cheeks are cold. I do not dread heading into the mountains in these conditions. I embrace them. I am about to explore the backcountry. Not plodding through the snow in boots. Or stomping down a path with snowshoes. I plan on gliding over the snow on skis. I will be backcountry ski touring. An elegant, efficient and, dare I say, almost magical way of seeing the backcountry in winter…

Paul Magnanti with thoughts and introduction to backcountry Nordic Skiing – Read the full article in Issue 20:

Backcountry Nordic Skiing: Experience the Wonder of Winter

Backcountry Nordic Skiing in the Rocky Mountains

Issue 20 Page 1

• Like 1

• 9 years later...

We used to do overnight trips when I was younger in Colorado, Washington and the Sierra in California.  A winter outfit tends to weigh a little more so I used a small plastic sled for my dog to pull with a regular mushing harness.  She carried close to half my outfit.  I used PVC pipe so the sled did not run over her on downhills.  Bring insulation for your dog to sleep in.  In cold weather I just zipped her into a jacket. 

I have used 3 season tents, and 4 season tents but the best of all was a Whelen lean to with a fire in front.  Find a dense forest or some rock outcrops for a wind break.  We could dry out our clothes, stay warm, cook dinner and watch the moon and snow fall all at the same time.  I hate being in a little tent for 14 hours a day in winter.