Ankle support.

IrekJanek

I recently twisted and re-twisted my ankle and now when I hike, after a while it starts to bother me a bit. Does anybody have any recommendations for shoes or other gear (other than ice) that could help me alleviate the discomfort.

Thanks

I recently twisted and re-twisted my ankle and now when I hike, after a while it starts to bother me a bit. Does anybody have any recommendations for shoes or other gear (other than ice) that could help me alleviate the discomfort.

Thanks

I personally found that i just needed time when i had a class three sprain a few years back. Your body needs time to heal, and in my opinion, bracing the ankle won't help much as it won't let it strengthen back up from your injury, making you rely on the brace whenever you push yourself.

I would see a doctor first. Otherwise if you can walk on it normally I would recommend doing some ankle mobility and strengthening exercises that would probably help much more than a brace. Give it time to heal, and slowly get more active as it heals. I would also say that wearing a low top shoe that allows your ankle to be mobile will help during the recovery process as it wont hinder its ability to strengthen. Ice and NSAID's will help with swelling and pain during the healing process.

I personally found that i just needed time when i had a class three sprain a few years back. Your body needs time to heal, and in my opinion, bracing the ankle won't help much as it won't let it strengthen back up from your injury, making you rely on the brace whenever you push yourself.

I would see a doctor first. Otherwise if you can walk on it normally I would recommend doing some ankle mobility and strengthening exercises that would probably help much more than a brace. Give it time to heal, and slowly get more active as it heals. I would also say that wearing a low top shoe that allows your ankle to be mobile will help during the recovery process as it wont hinder its ability to strengthen. Ice and NSAID's will help with swelling and pain during the healing process.

Thanks tmountainnut. On a 50 year old it doesn't heal that quick, so I'll have to give it time. What I'm concerned about is twisting it again on a hike, and my thinking was to get some boots that would prevent this.

Thanks

Thanks tmountainnut. On a 50 year old it doesn't heal that quick, so I'll have to give it time. What I'm concerned about is twisting it again on a hike, and my thinking was to get some boots that would prevent this.

Thanks

Sorry to give you a non-answer, but shoes to fit your foot is pretty specific to your foot. If you have an outdoor sports store nearby, i would go try on a few different pairs of shoes/boots till you find a pair that you think fits your foot. A mid height shoe will give you some stability, but you'll loose the flexibility that a lowtop shoe will allow you to have. Also i would look for a shoe with more cushioning (foam mid sole) than less cushioning (rubber mid sole) as that will reduce the amount of force that is transmitted through your ankle. As i said, my recommendation would be to fix the issue through building back your foot strength and flexibility with exercises and allow it to heal with time and moderate exercise instead of band-aiding the issue with extra support and bracing.

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

My history of ankle sprains seemed to be reduced / stopped when I switched to somewhat minimally-oriented trail runners. I always go for a lower stack height and drop, and for me being able to feel the trail, (Definitely like a rockplate though) along with the fact that my foot rides much closer to the ground has really made things a lot more stable. However, that's just what's worked for me...I do still go with boots for any type of significant snow. Whatever the choice of footwear though sounds like as tmountainnut said some rest, rehab, and maybe some professional advice might be in order to get the ankle healed and back in shape.

My history of ankle sprains seemed to be reduced / stopped when I switched to somewhat minimally-oriented trail runners. I always go for a lower stack height and drop, and for me being able to feel the trail, (Definitely like a rockplate though) along with the fact that my foot rides much closer to the ground has really made things a lot more stable. However, that's just what's worked for me...I do still go with boots for any type of significant snow. Whatever the choice of footwear though sounds like as tmountainnut said some rest, rehab, and maybe some professional advice might be in order to get the ankle healed and back in shape.

Sorry Aaron, somehow I missed your reply earlier (didn't see a notice in my mailbox).

I'm not planning to hike for a few months (I hate cold), my Timberlands are getting old and I was looking for a new pair before the spring. Hope I should be ready by then.

Thanks

IrekJanek,

I spend a LOT of time outdoors backpacking & have had multiple severe sprains... I think I have a recommendation that will help. Active Ankles T2 will cost you about $45 for one brace, which has helped me tremendously! Although weight savings and strength training are very important, it can take a year or more to properly heal a significant ankle sprain. There are some great therapy exercises you can work through at home that you can easily find online. I work part-time as a backcountry guide in WV, and I'm also a Wilderness First Responder... it took me a good bit of time to find the right thing! I hope this helps, just TAKE YOUR TIME!

IrekJanek,

I spend a LOT of time outdoors backpacking & have had multiple severe sprains... I think I have a recommendation that will help. Active Ankles T2 will cost you about $45 for one brace, which has helped me tremendously! Although weight savings and strength training are very important, it can take a year or more to properly heal a significant ankle sprain. There are some great therapy exercises you can work through at home that you can easily find online. I work part-time as a backcountry guide in WV, and I'm also a Wilderness First Responder... it took me a good bit of time to find the right thing! I hope this helps, just TAKE YOUR TIME!

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll definitely check the T2.