whats your backpacking luxury item?

hutchie

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

In a sense, everything beyond an Army blanket and a pocket knife are luxurious items to have along.  That is why some people need big packs and don't know when to stop.  Traditionally being "in camp" was a big part of backpacking.  Now with the newer lightweight approach it is about being "on the trail" that counts most.

• 2 years later...
Lunar_Herbalist

My luxury items (since I am still pretty new to the hiking and minimalist camping scene) are a trail journal that I use to record my lessons on the trail.  Things that worked well, things that were useless, and what obsticales I hit and what I did for those.

I also bring a camping chair, since I use a Hammock, this works for 2 purposes:  Put my  gear off the ground, but under my tarp and to give me a better seat when I am with people.  Solo, I don't need the chair.  I'll lay in my hammock since I don't have someone to talk to anyway its not really anti social.

My phone works as my GPS and my kindle, but it is usually on airplane mode unless I need it.

I've got another one. When the Mercury really drops, I bring my 15" Sven saw. Being considerate of the forest's needs to keep wood on the canopy floor, a small fire can really help matters!

The biggest 'spoil me' indulgence is being on one of the highly maintained over anal-yzed uber opined upon big name ABC Interstate single tracks relegated to fair weather outings where one is required to do the least personally possible as a hiker and member of a larger whole.    

I love fires.  Just came back from a truck camping trip to Yosemite.  We had a fire every night.   I used the frame designed for overhead shade and hang white canvas tarps from two sides. It blocks the wind and reflects some heat.  Also lights up the camp better. 

After awhile, I would take a shovel full of coals from the fire and put them in the wood stove in the wall tent.  I miss the popping and hissing of the stove in the fall.  Reading John Muir, I would fall asleep in a nice warm tent.

Edited by ppine

• 2 weeks later...

My personal luxury item is good coffee.  It might not sound like much of a luxury but a relaxing cup of high quality coffee brewed over a fire puts me in my Happy Place.

• Like 2