MSR Hubba Hubba NX or the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 2?

kwhowell

Hello Everyone,

I recently bought the Kelty Trail Logic TN 2 and thought it was a great design until a cold, windy night. I couldn't find a way to keep the fly tight in the vestibule area and as a result the fly did a lot of flapping and made it hard to sleep. Also, I had a nice layer of frost on the tent. I had my dog and I in the tent and it got down to the mid-to-upper twenties. I should also mention that, like an amateur, I forgot to pop the frog-eye vents open and that is likely what contributed to the condensation issue. My big concern was the flapping, however. It was very annoying and it made me a little uneasy about getting caught in a storm.

I've decided to spend a bit more money to get either the MSR Hubba Hubba NX or the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 2. I typically use a tarp shelter but recently I have been bringing others along and they like the security of a tent and so do I in inclement weather. I have narrowed it down to these two tents, but am having an impossible time making up my mind. I personally am a super light weight (130lbs on a really heavy day) so weight is always a huge consideration. But $400 is a lot to spend on a tent so I want something that will hold up over time to the abuse of my dog/inexperienced campers.

Any thoughts that anyone can offer on the durability and weight trade offs for these two tents would be really appreciated, or any experiences with these at all really.

Thanks in advance!

AdventureMyk

Backpackers 2014 gear guide had a direct comparison between the two (page 64, I tried to find it online and I think the forum might not care for my scanning the page). They list that both are good.

I'm a Big Agnes person and run the Slater 3 UL+ which is overkill for most people as well as a Mountain Hardware Optic 3.5. I nearly got the Kelty TN2 that you did, however, for the kind of places I went I opted for the larger 3.5 and it's panorama views. It was really a toss-up between them. The Optic does have two huge vestibules and can tighten down very nicely if you need to and even with boiling up 2 things of rice and a 3rd item of pasta at the same time under the vestibule followed by hot chocolate a bit later there was no condensation under either of my tents. (bonus!) The Big Agnes is my cold/nasty/rainy weather go-to tent while the Optic is the more fair-weather breezy tent. Both work okay in either condition but the venting in the Optic is much better.

That being said, another good friend who motorcycle camps has both the Hubba single and the Hubba Hubba double and has had nothing bad at all to say about them in the last few years of consistent use. He's a bit harder on his gear than I am and still no issues at all.

Look around and see if you can find one that's on a bit better sale than the other, smile, and know that either way you went the grass isn't greener on the other side. They are both good tents and both have been benchmark's for many reviewers for a long time.

Thanks AdventureMyk!

I keep all my old Backpackers, so I'll have to go through and take a look at that. As far as their website, not worth trying to find anything specific, it's terrible.

I'm looking at the same two tents, and maybe a Hilleburg Anjan 2 (downsides are price and I prefer freestanding.) If it helps, campsaver.com has the Big Agnes for 20% off for $319.96. http://www.campsaver.com/copper-spur-ul-2-tent-2-person-3-season Please let us (me) know which you chose. I too am trying to figure out which is the more durable of the two tents.

tetonkasey said:
I'm looking at the same two tents, and maybe a Hilleburg Anjan 2 (downsides are price and I prefer freestanding.) If it helps, campsaver.com has the Big Agnes for 20% off for $319.96. http://www.campsaver.com/copper-spur-ul-2-tent-2-person-3-season Please let us (me) know which you chose. I too am trying to figure out which is the more durable of the two tents.

Thanks for the heads-up on the deal. However, I think I have made up my mind on the Hubba Hubba for three reasons. The door on the BA falls to the floor instead of folding to the side, which I really don't like, the fly on the MSR can be rolled to the brow pole for star-gazing nights, like my TN2 that is getting returned, and I just think I will get a lot more years out of the Hubba Hubba.

I've wanted the Hubba Hubba since it came out in early 2000's so I hope I'm content with my purchase. The weight savings on the Copper Spur are really the only think that makes it so difficult to be 100%.

I'm going to wait for my REI Dividend and hopefully a 20% off coupon before I buy so the price isn't too harsh, but I will be sure to let everyone know what I think.

After doing a little more research myself I have found that the MSR's floor material is a little thicker and more durable than the BA's. Also the water resistance rating of the MSR's floor material is 3000 mm vs the 1200 mm of the BA. Both tents use a 1200 mm for the rain fly. I didn't think about the functionality of the door zipping configuration until you mentioned it, opening to the sides is a big deal when trekking with dogs. I believe I too have decided on the Hubba Hubba. I'll keep you posted if I find a killer deal on the tent and I'd appreciate it if you would let me know if you come across one as well.

I'll keep you posted if I find a killer deal on the tent and I'd appreciate it if you would let me know if you come across one as well.

I was on backcountryedge.com and they are offering a 20% coupon if you sign up for their edge program. I'm not real sure on the specifics, but you may be able to use the coupon on a new tent.

• 2 weeks later...

Pulled the trigger today! I was going to follow your advice and get it from backcountryedge (their return policy is up there with any other outdoor retailer) but they were out and not expecting any until the end of April and my discount coupon expires 4/19. So I looked around and rockcreek.com also is running a 20% off one item sale, and they have the tent listed ten bucks cheaper than the rest of the pack. $311.96 with the option of free economy shipping.

I picked up the Hubba Hubba a couple of weeks ago too but was only able to set it up in the yard. Initial thoughts are that it is awesome! I had a problem getting the brow pole in, but I think that will fade after a few set ups. I have a trip planned for a couple of weeks away and I'm really pumped up to try it out. Probably post a review on a new thread afterwards - feel free to add to in once it's up.

Hope you like yours, and Happy Hiking!