Osprey Atmos 50L Anti-Gravity pack

John B

I'm going to make this a limited review, as I have just purchased this pack Friday 3/27, and took it out on a climb of Vasquez peak (12,974) in my backyard of Colorado yesterday (3/29). Here is a link to REI's website with details on the pack: http://www.rei.com/product/878450/osprey-atmos-50-ag-ex-pack Osprey touts the suspension system--designed to spread the load throughout your waist and shoulder. I have to agree that the suspension is unbelievable. I was only carrying about 17-18 pounds, but it felt like literally nothing. I tried the pack with 30 pounds of weight at REI prior to the purchase, spent a bit time in the store walking around with it, and gave the same feel--like you weren't carrying anything. Comes in 3 sizes, small medium, and large (2868/3051/3234cu in), I purchased the large. In no particular order:

PROS: great suspension, comes with built in pack cover, REI throws in a free drysack (claims this only available on the pack thru REI; good size shove-it pocket on rear of pack, adjustable for torso length, adjustable for waist belt extender, liked the side/bottom compression strap system--a bit different than some I have seen--aided in compacting the pack down to the smaller load I was carrying, also liked the flap for sealing the top main compartment if the top lid is detached--has ability to tie into the buckles on main part of pack.

CONS: main complaint is that pack does not have external strap on bottom for strapping on a tent--I like this option as enables me to use a 50L pack for weeklong trips. i plan to take the pack to Boulder Mountain repair and have a strap system sewn on. The only other complaint would be the exit for drinking tube from the pack--it's a bit difficult to thread the tube through it--I do like that, instead of (2) exit ports, 1 on each side that there is only one central one--minor complaint. Every other detail of the pack appears to be well considered.

Overall assessment--this could be my go-to backpacking pack of the future. I will be using it on a four day backpack trip in early July, a weeklong trip to the Canadian Rockies in August, and a week in the Wind River mountains in September. Should have more to say about it's ability to deal with larger loads. My typical weight for a week in the back country is 35-37 pounds. Based on how it handled 30 pounds in the store, I'm confident it will do fine with this weight. Early report summary: THE SUSPENSION ROCKS!!

• Premium Member

Thanks for the review! I was very skeptical when I heard the name "Anti-Gravity", but it sounds like it lives up to its name. Does it feel like the hip belt or shoulder straps "dig in" at all?

I'm looking forward to hearing how it handles a heavier load on a longer trip. Keep us posted, please!

Jen,

The hipbelt was totally comfortable--no binding or discomfort at all. Granted, lighter load and we will see how it does with 30-35 pounds. Based on how 30 pounds felt after 15 minutes in the store, I'm not expecting any issues.

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Thanks for the feedback John and glad to hear it's working out well so far. Seems like a really interesting pack. Looks to be heavier than what I carry now but checking out the photos, it definitely looks pretty comfortable and I have liked the torso adjustability on Osprey packs I've used in the past.

Aaron, yes at 4lbs 1oz it's about 9oz heavier than what it's replacing (Osprey Kestrel 58L pack at 3lb 8oz). however, the comfort doesn't make it seem that way.

• 1 month later...
Blackdiamond1194

I just returned from a 3 day trip through Owl Creek and Fish Creek Canyons loop in the Cedar Mesa area in Utah. This was my first time with my Osprey AG 65. It is indeed easy on the shoulders. But I found that, for me, I had to cinch up the shoulder straps tight so that the weight wouldn't ride on my shoulders. The first two days, I had some fatigue pain at the front of my shoulders because of that additional pressure. The third day I concluded that it's a great pack.

Also, I have no hips or butt. Waist belts have always been a problem for me. This pack is the only one I have been able to cinch up enough to keep in place and still be comfortable.

My total pack weight was about 30 pounds.

Jen, I purchased the Aura last month after trying on someone's Atmos. I can tell you it is soooo comfortable! It wraps around your body like a hug and no digging in at shoulders or hips. I've been training with it for a few weeks and haven't experienced any issues with it. I'll be taking it out this weekend to Devil's Lake St Pk in WI, and will let you know how it feels after a day or two of hiking all day long. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I don't anticipate any problems at all!

• 10 months later...

Hey John,

Over a year later. Do you have anything new to tell us about the pack? I was curious about the durability of the trampoline style suspension. Has it held up okay to some use?

KW,

Still loving the pack!  The pack has been on a week long trip to Canadian Rockies, spent some time in the Wind River mountains of Wyoming, and mostly on shorter excursions in Colorado.  Planning to put it to more use this year, as I retired 2/1/16!!   Moved to western Colorado (Montrose), which will give me easier access to the San Juan mountains--in my opinion this is the best part of Colorado.  I have been able to easily pack 4 days of food and the usual equipment into the 50L version.  I suspect I could stretch that to a weeks worth of food without a major issue.  I have of course, as have most of us, downsized my equipment in terms of bulk and weight over the years.  Osprey should pay me a commission!   Would recommend the pack unconditionally.

• Like 1