new girl

blink76

hello all, my name is Heidi and i am new here. i'm planning my first hike in October. Thru-hike the Ozark Highlands Trail. would like any advice, info etc... and thank you ahead of time for your help

Shaun Squid

Welcome to the forum, Heidi. That is a beast, is this actually your first time hiking or just your first time backpacking? Either way, get training! Walking with a pack on is very different than just strolling across town. Ask all the questions that come to mind and I am sure someone here can answer.

• Like 1

thanks Shaun. this will be my first time backpacking. i grew up and still live in the country so running around in the woods is in my blood, and one of my favorite things to do. i can out hike both my children and they are in their early 20's and yes i do plan on training, and local dry runs with my gear and pack as soon as i decide which one to get. i'm leaning towards the osprey ariel 55. i have been to all the local stores (Tulsa) but none carry osprey. i am small 5'2" 115lbs so fit will be critical. i will have time to exchange it if it is not a good fit for but sounds like it will be.

you say "that is a beast", have you hiked that trail? what is so beast about is?

Edited by blink76

Welcome aboard. My wife has been using the Ariel 65 for years with no complaints. The hip belt on the most recent versions should make them even more comfortable and I don't think you will have any problems getting an optimum fit. My main pack is the Aether 70-absolutely the best pack I've used to date and big enough to get everything inside for up to about a 10 day trip.

thanks grizzled that was my first choice but i did find a store in Tulsa, Backwoods they have awesome knowledgeable staff and helped me pick a pack. surprisingly the osprey did not fit best for my weird shaped torso. lol dueter was much better but it weighs a whopping 6 lbs so i did more research and found a lighter version and i will go back and try a smaller capacity and then they can order the larger capacity (they do not carry it in stock) saving me a 1 1/2 pounds. the one that i think will give me best fit and carry my load properly is a dueter act lite 60+10 sl. so glad i found that store or i surely would have ordered the wrong one online

Shaun Squid

I only say it is a beast because you are a champ for taking on a 215 mile trail on your first backpacking trip. If you are used to hiking, I am sure you will be fine though. I have taken too many people out and gotten an astonished "WE ARE WALKING 5 WHOLE MILES!?!?!". But that is clearly not your situation. Excited for you to take your first trip!

awe thanks Shaun. yes i am used to wooded terrain only my woods don't have much for a trail mostly bushwhack. my favorite is rock hopping. there are some great creeks on the back side of my property for that. post-1558-143508725476_thumb.jpg but none the less when i get my pack i will definitely put some miles in training with my weighted pack to get in better shape for it. and as long as my body holds out my mind and heart will make it. soooo looking forward to the peaceful solitude and cleansing powers of the wilderness.

post-1558-143508725469_thumb.jpg

Edited by blink76

Welcome, Heidi! I've been backpacking with my son since 2010, and we've had a blast. Hope you have fun as well. Sounds like you've got your backpack figured out, but for what it's worth I've been using the Gregory Deva for the past 4 years. It's really nice. I just recently purchase the new Osprey Aura, and I'm in love with it. I've been training with it, and I haven't experienced any sore hips or shoulders yet. It may be my new preferred backpack. Whatever you choose, good luck!