Quality gear recommendation?

aguerra.1993

aguerra.1993

Hello everyone, I am new to these forums.

I am looking for a sleeping bag to take to Arizona, as I am joining the Arizona Conservation Corps. I am fairly new to backpacking but the gear I am purchasing will see a lot of use. I will be using it 9 days at a time and then 5 days off in between for about 4 and a half months. And most likely I will use it a few of those 5 days off so I don't have to pay expensive accommodation. I am looking for something rated to 20 degrees, hopefully around 2 lbs 3 oz, but the lighter the better, and compressible. After much research, I see that investing in a good sleeping bag is crucial for compressibility and durability, which are important to me, and I plan to use this bag all over the country/world. I guess a fair budget is around $300, but if it is truly worth it, I will consider a bit more. The program recommends a 0 degree bag but I think that is probably overkill, and I can always wear a puffy jacket to sleep.

Also, I am looking for a tent, currently I think I will go with the Tarptent Scarp 1, it may seem extreme but like I said, I want to use it in many conditions around the world. I am a photographer and I plan to do backcountry trips in some fairly extreme places. As for a sleeping pad, I have been looking at the Klymit Insulated Static V pad. Thanks for any help, it is greatly appreciated.

Shaun Squid

I got a quilt from enlightenedequipment.com and love it. You can customize to your likings, they are extremely light, and pack down to nothing. If you are worried about packability and weight, down is the only way to go. Make sure to get a dry sack to keep the bag dry or you are in for a sleepless night.

As for a tent, I have a hennesy hammock that I swear by but I understand they are not for everybody. I will let others chime in on the tarptent you have in mind.

You might check out the REI igneo down bag: http://www.rei.com/product/862532/rei-igneo-sleeping-bag

I purchased one a year and a half ago to replace a north face bag that was 10 years old--it has done well for me, rated at 19 degrees--I have used it down to about 25 degrees without issue. Very compressible, and meets your parameters as to weight and cost (1lb 15oz/$299). Can't go wrong with this one.

aguerra.1993

I really like that Igneo, looks like a nice bag. I just ordered the Klymit Insulated Static V. Picked it up for $58 and it has an R value of 4.4. It's not cold here but I'm going to test it out and see how it works.

I really wanted a hammock originally but since I will be working a lot in the desert I was concerned about there being objects I can use to hang it so I decided to get a tent instead.

Edit: I ended up ordering the Thermarest Altair 0℉. It was going for $233 on SierraTradingPost, so I took advantage. I already have a cheap 40℉ synthetic bag that should do fine when it's too hot for the Altair.

Edited by aguerra.1993