Kelty Redwing 32 Vs. Osprey Escapist 30

jabberwock101

jabberwock101

I am looking for a new medium pack for general use and weekend trips. My previous pack, a Marmot Aspen 35, has served me well, but I really want to try out something that is easier to haul around town and with better access to content.

The Marmot is comfy and durable, but it is also a top loader without any real external pockets (outside of its top flap) and tons of annoyingly long straps everywhere. It is a bit of a pain to rummage around in and it looks weird off of the trail. Right now (outside of weekend trips) I am spending more time wandering around in cities than on the trails, so I need something different.

After doing some research I have narrowed down my choices to either the Kelty Redwing 32 or the Osprey Escapist 30.

I like the look of the Kelty, the top load/panel load set up, and the plentiful external pockets. The Osprey has the best guarantee that I have ever come across, a nifty external hydration pocket, a built in rain cover, and a compact profile. I can get either pack for about the same price, so I’m pretty torn between these two packs.

Any advice or opinions that anyone could provide about either of these packs would be greatly appreciated.

269706_2_1?resmode=4&op_usm=1,1,1,&qlt=80,1&hei=500&wid=500&align=0,1

233299_1_1?resmode=4&op_usm=1,1,1,&qlt=80,1&hei=500&wid=500&align=0,1

pDSP1-7239632v750.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the Kelty for general around town use, I like the durability of the Kelty Redwing packs. The admin panel on the Kelty is perfect for the need to have items like a pen and note pad. The kelty also has a couple of packets in the admin section that have a soft lining that protects the phone / gps screens. The Kelty has a nice plastic frame support with a thin aluminum beam down the center and allows for some support if pressed onto a heavy load out. the only down side to the Kelty redwings is they are a little tactical looking compared to the Osprey.