Help picking a tent

aguerra.1993

aguerra.1993

Hello, I am having a lot of trouble picking a tent. I was originally looking for a tent that I can use basically anywhere around the world excluding really extreme places, and what I thought of getting was the Tarptent Scarp 1. I'm not sure how that would work in a desert, as it's not freestanding. Are there any recommendations you have for a tent that can hold up to a variety of conditions? I love to travel and do landscape photography, so I can see myself in pretty much any environment. I cannot spend over $400 but the cheaper the better. I recently upped the budget to see if I could just find the perfect tent but I have yet to find one. Something that can resist some strong winds and rain, be pretty comfortable in snow, and still be lightweight to backpack. Also lastly, I am for a big 1 person tent or small 2 person tent. My girlfriend would probably join me on some trips in the summer and warm weather trips. Thank you!

rogueodyssey

Hello, I am having a lot of trouble picking a tent. I was originally looking for a tent that I can use basically anywhere around the world excluding really extreme places, and what I thought of getting was the Tarptent Scarp 1. I'm not sure how that would work in a desert, as it's not freestanding. Are there any recommendations you have for a tent that can hold up to a variety of conditions? I love to travel and do landscape photography, so I can see myself in pretty much any environment. I cannot spend over $400 but the cheaper the better. I recently upped the budget to see if I could just find the perfect tent but I have yet to find one. Something that can resist some strong winds and rain, be pretty comfortable in snow, and still be lightweight to backpack. Also lastly, I am for a big 1 person tent or small 2 person tent. My girlfriend would probably join me on some trips in the summer and warm weather trips. Thank you!

I just went through the same dilemma and asked a similar question here. I came to the conclusion that you can't have a tent that will do it all while keeping it light weight. You're going to have to give up something somewhere in order to keep within your parameters. After reading many reviews and following some members recommendations I decided on an MSR Hubba Hubba NX. Most of stores are having a sale right now and I got mine for 299.00. I haven't used the tent yet so take my recommendation with a grain of salt. This is the review that sold me on the tent http://www.upsidownearth.com/#!msr-hubba-hubba-nx/c7rf

Other tents that I seriously considered where the Big Agnes Cooper Spur and a Tarptent Double Rainbow, hope this helps

aguerra.1993

Thanks for your help! Does anyone have experience with Nemo tents? Specifically the Lodi or the Dagger? I think I'll get a tent that is fairly versatile for less extreme conditions and later on pick up a tent for more extreme conditions. What do you think of the Fly Creek UL2?

As I have several times already on this forum (hope it's not getting old to anyone) I'm going to recommend the MSR Hubba Hubba NX. I just went backpacking in Talimena SP in eastern Oklahoma last weekend where I got hit with a wicked thunderstorm. Weather underground stated 56 MPH gusts and the tent, which had rocks piled on top of each of the eight stakes I used, barely even budged. I was extremely impressed, to say the least! Pair that with the great living space and relatively light weight, I'd recommend this tent to anyone!

As far as the Fly Creek UL2, I have sat inside of one and the living space is pretty cramped. Also, I have read a lot of reviews griping about the fly design by the feet.

aguerra.1993

Thank you so much for your help as well. I just bought the REI Quarter Dome and am going to see how I like it, as it seems to be very similar to the Hubba Hubba but the price is much lower. If I don't like it, I'll return it and get the Hubba Hubba after reading so many great reviews.

• 2 weeks later...

Tarptent Double Rainbow. It's freestanding if you add a adapter for your trekking poles. Handles the wind very well.