I only wanted to pick up 5 things at the store...

Sarah Jerky Cara Fleshman

Only 5.

I am going to browns hollow this weekend for a short backpacking trip, a short backpacking trip. So I went to Walmart to pick up some Boxers (I want to try to hike in boxers since I heard for girls, its easier), trail food, a sport bra, and a wet rag that keeps cool.

Somehow I came home with, trekking poles, a new filter water bottle, A woman urinal, a extended charger for my phone while on the trail, and at one point....I almost "splurged" for a lighter backpack.

I shall never go to the camping section of Walmart again.

$90 dollars later and this small hiking trip just got expensive.;)

Who else has these kind of shopping adventures?

not sure where you live, but I have the same sort of experiences at REI all the time.....

One of these days, I am going to get some good quality merchandise. But honestly, i only have access to Walmart & online. I bought most of my gear online save for a few things here and there at Wally.

I did atleast do some of my research. I only bought what I knew had good reviews. I knew the poles were decent from past reviews but never bought any till now. XD

• Premium Member

I have the same "adventures" shopping for outdoor gear. Shopping online is much safer, although I do prefer to try on clothes in a store... which is how REI, Moosejaw, Sierra Trading Post, etc. all sucker me in with their bargain bins and clearance racks....

Hope all the new gear works well for you!

• 2 weeks later...

not sure where you live, but I have the same sort of experiences at REI all the time.....

:lol:  We have that same problem.  A REI store in town is certainly a mixed blessing------

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

I usually pick gear up online, but must admit the free shipping promotions have caused a few more items to be added to my cart on more than one occasion. :)

I usually pick gear up online, but must admit the free shipping promotions have caused a few more items to be added to my cart on more than one occasion. :)

There is an REI only about 10 miles from my home.  So, I have this ongoing fantasy:

I retire and get a part time job at REI!

Instead of being paid in currency, I get paid in excellent gear at employee discount!

Don't forget to add in the senior citizen discount!

I take off work anytime I want to, and hit the trail!

Like I said, it's a fantasy!  I can dream can't I?

Happy 4th of July!

Gary M

From my office; working July 3rd, 4th, and 5th.  Sometimes life just isn't fair!

Edited by Gary M

When Mrs Mags and I go to Coscto together (I usually do the shopping after work by myself), our cart seems a little more full than if I go solo??? :)

My college-age son works at our local REI during the school year.  It definitely makes my wallet lighter, and he doesn't save any money at all.  He keeps coming home with stuff, especailly after one of their 'garage sales'.  And Jen's right - those clearance bins just pull me in with their promises of bargains and deals! 

• Like 1

Da'engineer

My college-age son works at our local REI during the school year.  It definitely makes my wallet lighter, and he doesn't save any money at all.  He keeps coming home with stuff, especailly after one of their 'garage sales'.  And Jen's right - those clearance bins just pull me in with their promises of bargains and deals! 

With you there with REI my dividend from last year is 400 dollars if that gives you any idea :P