Looking for a headlamp

Johnnydrama

Have used a Black Diamond spot (85 lumens) for 4-5 years (I think).  Have always found it to be more than adequate for backpacking/hiking.  While you can get many more lumens than this, I personally don't believe you need them for these purposes.  Previously used Princeton Tek Tikka plus.  For something like a headlamp--proven technology for the most part, don't think you need to go for all the bells and whistles.  The basics are fine.  All you need is enough light to accomplish basic tasks!

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Looking for a headlamp. Is an extra 90 lumens worth $20 more. 

Depends on how many lumens headlamp A has. ;) But usually as @John B mentioned most of the time you won't need that many. In camp and around the tent I like a really low setting to preserve some night vision. On the trail I can usually comfortably get by on the medium settings of my ZebraLight H52w. (25-50 lumens) However, that light goes all the way up to 280, and while most of the time that setting only serves to temporarily blind me when I accidentally activate it in the tent at night, it has been useful on occasion. 

• Like 1

Johnnydrama

Thanks. I have been looking at the coast hl44 which is 210 lumens at max output. Only $20. 

Brandon_0384

I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for.  I have used my black diamond for years.  Dropped, kicked, smashed, drenched and it keeps on working.  You wouldn't catch me buying a cheap headlamp. Money well spent.

Brandon_0384

If you notice the cons are a short battery life.  This is one reason I have the revolt.  I can just charge it from a micro USB port.  If you get the coast lamp, be sure to let everyone know how it works out.

• Like 1

The best thing about LED headlamps is not having to carry spare batteries. Some of the really bright ones have this messed up.

You won't want to lay in your sleeping bag and read a book with that battery pack on the headband of the Coast. No retailer of decent camping gear sells them. Who the heck is Outdoor Gear?

I'd recommend the BD Spot to anyone. You can use it for climbing mountains before sunrise, but probably won't have to. They are not expensive and have made a lot of backpackers happy.