Hello From Alaska

Da'engineer

Da'engineer

I am pretty new to backpacking started last year and racked up 50 miles so far hiking around Alaska. Most overnighters  since my wife can't go more then one night without a proper shower (Ideas to extend my trip help :D?). We've explored a lot and had a lot of fun haven't ran into many issues so far other then some heavy packs and a ton of mud our first hike. Weeding out our packs and making them lighter now. Still need to get a scale to measure everything out.. still need to get some proper reflective guy lines and some more stakes. 

Here is some pictures from our trips.

100_1815.thumb.JPG.34836a42e18d0952e6197100_1830.thumb.JPG.3afb20900c668ea356e6e100_1205.thumb.JPG.6b4574b9c511a25101320100_1197.thumb.JPG.aa7c823e869c11b79bde9

Here is a sort list of my gear:

-REI half dome 2 plus

-Highland 65L pack (Yeah I kinda got cheap there :P)

-Katadyn Pro 

-Thermacell Scout mat

-Cheap-oh Sleeping bag

-MSR stove

-Merrell chameleon's  

-Cheap-oh collapsible bowls

-ENO doublenest for when we want to kick back and relax

Other then that Me and my wife are 23 and been married for 2 years I work for the United States Air force as a weapons load crew member. And look forward to many years of backpacking! 

Welcome to the Forum!  I'm a Midwesterner, but I just came back from a two week trip in Alaska.  We hiked the Kesugi Ridge Trail in Denali State Park in 4 days - the scenery was awesome and the weather was mild.  That trail could probably be done in 3 days or 2 if you're a fast hiker (it's only 27.4 miles from Coal Creek Trailhead to Beyer's Lake Trailhead).  Good luck and thanks for your service to our country!

Da'engineer

That's great! Me and my wife want to backpack Denali some day but we would need a dog sitter. Since Denali doesn't allow dogs on the trails. 

I want to do Coal creek trail as well that trail is amazing and is extremely long... where all did you visit? You should've hiked hatcher's pass and crow's pass both amazing areas full of glaciers and historic mines!.

I am pretty new to backpacking started last year and racked up 50 miles so far hiking around Alaska. Most overnighters  since my wife can't go more then one night without a proper shower (Ideas to extend my trip help :D?). We've explored a lot and had a lot of fun haven't ran into many issues so far other then some heavy packs and a ton of mud our first hike. Weeding out our packs and making them lighter now. Still need to get a scale to measure everything out.. still need to get some proper reflective guy lines and some more stakes. 

Here is some pictures from our trips.

100_1815.thumb.JPG.34836a42e18d0952e6197100_1830.thumb.JPG.3afb20900c668ea356e6e100_1205.thumb.JPG.6b4574b9c511a25101320100_1197.thumb.JPG.aa7c823e869c11b79bde9

Here is a sort list of my gear:

-REI half dome 2 plus

-Highland 65L pack (Yeah I kinda got cheap there :P)

-Katadyn Pro 

-Thermacell Scout mat

-Cheap-oh Sleeping bag

-MSR stove

-Merrell chameleon's  

-Cheap-oh collapsible bowls

-ENO doublenest for when we want to kick back and relax

Other then that Me and my wife are 23 and been married for 2 years I work for the United States Air force as a weapons load crew member. And look forward to many years of backpacking! 

Nice photos, especially love #4 with the dog looking at the mountain.  Classic!

Gary M

Da'engineer

Thanks! My wife mostly takes the photos. I have enough to carry as it is! We have a lot more on my computer I'll have to upload some more.

• Like 1

That's great! Me and my wife want to backpack Denali some day but we would need a dog sitter. Since Denali doesn't allow dogs on the trails. 

I want to do Coal creek trail as well that trail is amazing and is extremely long... where all did you visit? You should've hiked hatcher's pass and crow's pass both amazing areas full of glaciers and historic mines!.

I was with a Scout group - we went to Seward for a fjords cruise, Moose Pass one day for camping, Sterling for canoeing, spent a couple nights at Denali National Park.  We hoped to backpack the national park but because of the limited unit quotas and difficulty in getting permits for our large group we chose to hike Kesugi Ridge instead.  It was a good decision for us.  Kesugi Ridge had amazing views (including views of The High One) and had some of the most rugged trail sections I've ever hiked.  We also made it down to the Matanuska glacier where we did some ice climbing and zip lining - awesome trip!  Alaska is amazing - would love to visit again!  I'll definitely look into both passes you mentioned.  Thanks!

• Like 1

Da'engineer

Zip lining is the best in Alaska near the States capital there is the world's largest zip line. As far as rugged goes Alaska in my opinion has some of the most rugged trails ever! If you ever want to make another trip pm me and I'll let you in on the know also try alaskahikesearch.com

They have some good ones listed and some hidden treasures as well! Some of the information is dated. But is still is reliable. 

I just did a Fjords cruise 

100_1680.thumb.JPG.3435dd9d33bdbca148f95100_1679.thumb.JPG.f31ab3f10d60c4940bde6100_1689.thumb.JPG.0bcd4bbfde79c66f0f95e

• Like 1