Long-term Food Caches

SoloAdventurer

SoloAdventurer

Hi. Need a way to safety cache food for 3 weeks and 6 weeks in nowhereland in the Canadian Rockies. Considering a very good bear hang (dry bag or hard case) with cable rather than cord. I am concerned smaller critters or birds may tamper with it...I've seen chipmunks chew through hard plastic but maybe I'm being overly cautious. Any thoughts or advice is much appreciated? Thanks!!!

ps. This is a very off-the-beaten-path adventure and caches will be done by boat. There are no roads or automobile access.

SoloAdventurer

Thanks. The pails are an interesting thought, especially the metal one.

Should anyone have any other thoughts or experience in this area I would still be happy to hear from you. Thank you.

Based on the limited info you shared, if you can cache by boat then it might be simpler in the long term  to resupply by boat without the need for caches.  3 and 6 wks caches are going to require multiple 5 gal buckets adding to the trash that has to be removed, BY BOAT, AGAIN. It very well could be better in the long term and from a perspective of time management and possibly  logistical considerations to have someone drop off your resupply packages  by boat ONE TIME, you take your resupply, and let the boat take any receptacles your resupply was packaged in to be properly disposed of.  

SoloAdventurer

Thanks for the thoughts Dogwood. This is a combo canoeing and backpacking trip that covers a very large distance so the resupply runs were not an option. My food is very simple and fortunately trash will be minimal.

I am scoping an island as a depot that should be bear free :). Currently I'll be caching a large hard case that I can bolt closed (not too worried about this one) and a large backpack dry bag that will be on that island. I think I'll be good...otherwise I'll just come home skinnier!

Cheers.

"My food is very simple and fortunately trash will be minimal."

I pretty sure most of us think this is unfortunate. LNT my friend. You need to plan on going back and getting your trash. I would think if you can get your food there you should be able to get your trash out! Not trying to be mean just stressing a point. LNT Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
SoloAdventurer

Like I leave trash in the bush. You've misquoted me and I don't appreciate it. That was in regard to what I am packing in and packing out. Please refrain from quoting me in the future. 

Get some surplus ammo containers.  Inexpensive, critter proof and comes in various sizes.  It is what the NPS uses for keeping marmot out..and I saw an talk once by a couple who did their own caches using these containers.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/productlist/military-surplus/ammo-cans-military-storage/ammo-boxes-cans?d=122&c=407&s=199

No sure how critter proof the bucket would be? The lid could be an issue..or not? :)