good morning y'all-seeking advice

smallywood

Greetings! Im Mike from OH. I was feeling adventurous while planning a trip to AZ for a friends wedding, and decided to hit some of the national parks while Im out there. Problem is, I have no prior experience hiking and was looking for some advice. I know there is a lot involved, but Im more concentrated on the timing mechanism of this whole trip, as I have rented a car for a week and will be making the trip from the grand canyon (north) to vegas. I would like to see as many different parks as I can and planned my trip accordingly: (sunday-sunday, ending in vegas saturday) grand canyon, bryce, zion, red cliffs, and possibly lake mead (i would like to go kayaking or something water related with my gf). I have the trip timed for to drives to the parks, i just need to get a better idea of the time I should spend at each site (as I need to reserve a camping spot at each park). Id like to do some star gazing as its always been a hobby of mine. I dont think I am properly trained to do any back packing and should stick with the trails. Thank you for taking the time to read this and hope you can help me with this dilemma. Regardless, this trip is going to be one of a lifetime!

Hi Mike, sounds like some adventure you are planning. I'm gonna try to lay down some basic tips and maybe someone will come along and join in with some helpful info. 

First things first.. always know where you are going and have a planned route with maps in hand. Study your maps well and it might even help to Google search or YouTube search each place you will visit. Usually I can find videos and journal entries from people who have already trekked the trails and seasons I intend to visit. Always expect that conditions will be different during your visit. Call ahead to each location you will be parking and resupplying at to make sure there are few surprises.  You should bring a compass as well. Make sure you tell someone where you are going for each day and discuss your plan in detail with a park ranger before you set out. Talk to people and if you can find others that have the same plan as you, stick with them when you aren't sure if you know the landscape. 

Bring more water than you will ever need, and I'd even bring a way to purify water you may find along the way, just in case.  

You should be aware of how far you are capable of walking and how far it will be from location to location in extreme conditions. 100 degree heat could slow your progress. 

The best advice I can give is to study your destination well and in detail, from landscape and wildlife..to history and local community efforts. Knowing where you are can make the trip fun and exciting but also could save your life if need be. 

Knowing how you will sleep, what you will eat, and what you will need is all part of the personal journey you will take. There are many options for outdoor survival and comfort..find out what works best for you. There are many many product and method reviews available out there on YouTube.

:) good luck and have fun!

Outdoorsmom76

You didn't mention how far in the future you are planning.  If there's some time, start by doing some training near home. Visit state or national parks near you and do some day hikes. Getting some experience ahead of time will help you  judge for longer adventures.  One of the biggest mistakes newbies make is trying to go for an epic adventure.  Don't try to take on too much in one day. Give yourself some time to rest each day. You don't have to see it all to make it an awesome trip. Actually,  I'd advise just the opposite.  Pick a few places you'd really like to visit, and make sure you give yourself time to  enjoy each one. Nothing will ruin a trip faster than trying to rush and do too much.  

• Like 1